GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

I just got my power fc installed after a full engine rebuild with forged internals...

Running 1000cc's and an HKS t51s at the moment and an A/F ratio of 9/10's "rich" on the stock power fc d-jetro maps

I have noticed after few days that the engine started detonating at full load in 3rd/4th gears "above 60" and power fc is showing it "check engine"

Few questions, Does turning the CAS matter now "advance,retard" ? or does the power fc control it now, and the position of the cas doesn't matter now ?

How much would I need to retard my timing to save my engine from detonating at the higher cells

Our fuel here is pretty shitty, around 95 or less and im running 1.2 bar of boost

thanx

·
Registered
771 Posts
Really mate you are silly to give the car full load on the base maps - you so need to get it mapped and you are basically risking serious damage if you continue to hoon around without a proper map on there.

As a precaution the base maps are set real rich but at full load its going to change as you have found out.

now i dont know for sure but you can alter the timing via the hand commander.

Although i strongly suggest you don't play around with it - instead get it mapped !

·
Registered
193 Posts
At least 7 degrees of retard to quell det on the PFC base map (which is a 100 RON map) if you're using 95 RON. Maybe more.

Be very careful, drive off boost, and hope you haven't done any damage already :eek:

Also, with AFRs like that you'll foul your plugs in no time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car runs rich till redline at 8k

So i thought i was safe ....

7 degrees of retard :nervous: omg that's aloooot

I'll try retarding it -4 at full load maps and see what happens

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whether or not it's a lot depends on how advanced the ignition is to begin with. I'm advising you that to run 95 RON safely off the PFC base map you will need to take out at least 7 degrees. Whether you take the advice is up to you, it won't hurt my pocket if you grenade your engine!

Also remember that running too rich can also cause detonation and bore wash.

Mooki, he says it's the PFC base map.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SIhethers,

Yes, Our fuel here is 95 RON ...and yes it's the PFC's base map

Should I retard -7 on all the maps or just the maps after 7x7 ...meaning the rest 13x13 maps going right and downwards ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you have datalogit or equivalent, or will you be using the commander?

You may not need 7 degrees off the vacuum cells, but 3 or 4 wouldn't hurt. On boost I would just retard all cells by 7 and see. But you shouldn't be driving it on boost until you get the fuelling and ignition remapped. You risk damaging what is presumably a very expensive engine. Why risk it? :confused:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
watch out with your fueling - I solved all my knocking problems and dialed in a great ignition map. But when you retard timing, EGTs rise, and while my first engine was blown due to knock, the second melted due to high temps. Need to have your fuel map to go along with your ignition map.

At the least, buy Datalogit. I got mine today, and boy I wish I had this a year ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
He should be safe to retard 7 degrees given his fuelling is so rich and the PFC base map being excessively advanced. This will be much more of an issue when it comes to the remap, because 95RON fuel will not allow much in the way of ignition advance to control EGT, therefore he will still have to run relatively rich, but not 9:1.

From memory, the RB26DETT basemap will be trying to run mid to high 20s ignition advance at that sort of boost level in the upper rpm range, whereas realistically for 95RON fuel you would anticipate this being in the mid to high 10s.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have retarded all my maps -5

Det is gone now, max det was 30 on the power fc at full load ...

redline is set at 8200 rpm ... a/f ratio is 10 flat now on boost running ik27 (heat range 9)

So am I safe now ? I'm using the commander

·
Registered
193 Posts
No! ;)

30 on PFC may still be det. You need to calibrate the knock trace with det cans before you can really rely on it.

Is the bottom end "built", if you're running 8200rpm limit. What is your off-boost fuelling like? If it is rich then you risk fouling HR9 plugs. I'd aim for 15-15.5:1.

Personally, I'd take more timing out, get det cans on, adjust fuelling to 11:1 mid range richening to 10.5:1 at topend (given you're using yak's p**s for fuel), then add the timing back in slowly and whilst monitoring for det. And I would use octane booster with every fill-up. Hell, I do with 99 RON petrol :D

Be very careful!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the bottom end is build with cp pistons and eagle rods ... !

I ran 8,500 redline on a stock bottom end too for 2 years with no problems, until I built the engine recently

The a/f ratio off boost is 14.5-13.5 ...on boost it's 10s now

at 1.2 bar ..I'm almost finishing up the maps, when I use map tracer ... Should I readjust the PIMvolt (map sensor) as I can increase it over 100% to give me space for more boost, as I'll run the car in the drags on more boost with c16 fuel soon

Currently, My Full load maps (WOT) start from 4,500 rpm which is column 11 ..row 16 and going down

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cheers Darbo, I try :)

SR, If you want to rescale the load zones (ie the max boost you can tune for) then you need datalogit or equivalent. You should get this if you're serious about tuning it yourself.

From memory positive boost should start from row 10 on d-jetro, and 19 should be 1.2 bar?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm using the commander only

SI ... Under setting menu, there is "PIMvolt" U can rescale what the map sensors read for more boost as I'm maxing out the current range

they go like

8000rpm 100%
7000rpm 100%
'
'
'
'
1000rpm 100%

U can edit and make this 100% more like 130% or above

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well your Load Site on the Apexi will be around Load 14 Check your total timeing on Load 14 and Rpm 8k whats that number ?

Use 15 at Max load point on degree of advance to start of with trim the fuel % first to get a good 11.1-11.8 at WOT at redline. adust idle air fuel ratio first 5-5

Ohh before all t his Make sure you use a timeing light to see actual timeing Vs your hand controller reading.

·
Registered
193 Posts
SR

That will not rescale your load axis, that can only be done using datalogit/FC-Pro.

I think it will scale your basic fuel injection map (as the base map can not be accessed through the commander). It allows you to correct your fuelling as different mods change airflow at any given boost pressure. Increasing to 130% will cause major overfuelling. Have you got the PIMVolt setting correct, I think you should have it on APEX.

I suggest you purchase a copy of datalogit or FC-Pro :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts