GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A small number of you will have noticed that a thread about Tuning Japanese has been deleted. The most significant post in this thread was from myself and concerned my experiences.

Firstly. let me say that I fully agreed with the moderators and Cem in deleting this thread.

What I wrote was written at a point I was feeling very dis-heartened with my car. Unfortunately those of you who know me, know that I have suffered from extremely bad luck with my Skylines and that whilst two of my engines have failed with cracked blocks, this has occurred to many, many others as well. Whilst the failures of my engine were true and were due to component failure, it was unfair to publicise the failures of one tuner alone.

I have spoken to Tim of Tuning Japanese, apologised and cleared the air with him during a very friendly conversation.

The car that he built genuinely gave me the best driving experiences of my life (germany at 200mph) and equally gave me some of the lowest points. Unfortunately 600bhp-700bhp engines do not last long, as most of the owners of them know. In fact I think almost every owner of a 600+ bhp engine has had at least one failure.

I suggest that those of you who read my experience take note that engine failure is what happens in the quest for serious bhp.

Please do not take this as a comment of the quality of work undertaken by Tuning Japanese, which I had been very pleased with when they looked after my car.

I know that Tim was as gutted as I was when my block cracked, unfortunately it is a well known problem with the stock RB26 blocks.

Guy

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yes Guy

I think that you needed to post this about your comments surrounding that thread.

I didnt reply as I didnt want to get involved BUT, there is always two sides to a story and the tuning game is a dodgy one as we all want big power with the realibilty of a Mondeo and you have to be realistic when in search of more power as you know.

I have nothing for or against TJ, weve all ben there and had some smart times on the rollers at TJ and I can remember a time when people said that they were the best thing since sliced bread not too long ago and whatever the circumstances it is unfair to publically shame ( dont care who they are ) anyone regardless of fault or blame as its damaging to business and repuation which is beyond repair and sticks in peoples minds and is cruely unfair.

Bad luck is one thing but pointing the finger of blame is not always the best thing to do and at the end of the day it was your car, you ran the boost, you took it to 200+mph and what do you expect? Obviously a couple of months of driving would be nice of course but 600+ is a fcuking lot of stress on the engine especially if you keep some standard parts in the engine, its gonna break, thats the game. We can all run our cars safe and on low boost so they last as some do, but fcuk that, you pay the money, you want the power and you want high boost, but unfortunately it all comes at a price and thats what you ended up with is now clear.

Its nice to see that they are understanding about it, says something about them at least to anyone whom was thinking about going to them that mistakes happen, things go wrong or whatever and we all move on and learn from it.

All of the tuners over here have about 1/4 of the knowledge from Japan thats gained in experience and we learn a snippet more every month, you want to try something new then you have to face the consequences if it doesnt work out as we all know.

Not patronising you at all but its good to see it come out in the open and get shut back away again, its good.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
After Guys post I feel I should also reappraise what I originally said, given it was motivated entirely by Guys frank opinions at the time (not his fault since he's already said he was disheartened at the time, as was I). I doubt anyone really cares much about my experiences since the costs involved pale into insignificance compared to the kinds of money Guy has spent on his car, but I feel I should never the less put across my point of view regardless.

The ifs and buts of why my engine was taken out of the car are in the past, for my part I have to hold my hand up and say that I wasn't categoric in saying the work shouldn't be done (i.e. I didn't say "don't go ahead and do this"), my words at the time were arguably open to interpretation. In an ideal World tuners (and indeed all traders) would seek to get written authorisation for all additional work carried out to a vehicle, but as we all know in busy situations this simply isn't practical.

With that in mind I feel I should personally apologise if (as I suspect) my account of events was taken by anyone to be incontrovertible. As Guy has pointed out, engine failures are often as much a part of the general limitations of components and the way in which these cars are driven as the actual tuners themselves - and in my case my bone of contention rests solely upon the intepretation of a conversation that took place while my car was in TJ's care, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I have never had any work done by TJ but when my car ran and detonated on the dyno, they stopped the run and saved my engine. If it had been at a dyno without all of the sensors they use, it would have gone pop. I still thank them for that.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts