GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

How long do you guys recommend for a break in period for new turbo's?

They are T517z's if it matters.

Tom

·
Registered
234 Posts
prime them with oil, start it up, let it idle for about 5 min,,,,,,, then go nuts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Why does everyone say there is some sort of break in?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Everyone doesn't, only those that don't understand turbos oiling systems do. They are good for max boost out of the box, if not the turbo or the advisor are iffy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As said above, you only need to be sure that your oil feed has no air in it and is filled with oil. ( air could come in when you disconnect the oil feed for replacing the turbo)
So cranking the engine untill oil pressure, with the cas disconnected to be sure that the new fitted turbo has oil, for the rest it can't harm to warm op the engine up propely for stepping on it.. but there are no parts to run in, the bearings are designed for no / minimal metal contact.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
did you get that clunking sound sorted out?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, I'm not sure what it was. Pulled the turbo's yesterday and everything looked fine. Symptoms changed a little though, yesterday was boost to .4 no higher, I found a hidden leak on the bottom of the left intake pipe...tightened that and now boost is good to around 6000 RPM then the car falls flat :confused:

Thanks for the replies on the break-in bit. Eases my mind a lot on the turbo's :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts