GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodday,

My R32 has been running on a big single T78 with a a semi-tunned engine (Tomei Con-rod, Piston, gasket etc...)

The previous owner of my R32 raced against GT3 Porsche and blew up the engine (no damage on other parts except the engine) and had to re-rebuilt the whole but I found it unstable during idling...

I have sold this engine and putting the R34 stock engine now.. but the biggest problem is what shall I do with T78 Kits?

If I go for the big single, I need to modify this new stock engine again, which I cannot afford at this stage.

My mechanic advise me to go with the stock r34 engine, with stock ceramic turbos and F-Con tune up. which would give me a satisfying hp of about 400hp, he reckons.. but I gotta do the new piping and so on...

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. . :)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
heya Justin, I guess when we meet up I'll take a look at the engine you got.

But in the meantime...you don't have stock exhaust manifolds? If not, we can get you stock manifolds and turbo elbows for very cheap - it'll just be expensive to ship the heavy-ass cast iron parts. I think someone on here has a pile of them sitting around, and if not we can always hit up Yahoo Japan auctions. Getting stock piping is no problem, it's getting aftermarket pipes (which you've got) that's really expensive!

Or one other option, which is a bit creative, is to just buy a new turbo - a small 450bhp turbo with the same flange as the T78. Yes, it'll look puny under the hood, but you can get a good solid turbo with steel wheels (remember I told you over the phone that stock ceramic wheels are bad, bad, bad! - with your power goal, it technically shouldn't be a problem, but at this point, it's age that's an issue).

Stock engine with good mapping, you can run it up a bit more, maybe to 500-550bhp. I guy I told you about with the R34 in Bundang, he built a 550bhp car with a stock Nur-spec engine. It's all N1 parts, but N1 isn't much of an upgrade over stock. I think a lot of guys have run 600bhp on stock internals - with good mapping, the power isn't a problem, it's more of an RPM thing, at least that's how I see it. A couple of mild knock events at 600bhp, forged pistons can take it, but stock pistons will break a ringland.

Anyways, I think we should shop for the smallest topmount turbo that'll fit your piping, something rated for around 450bhp. You'll then have the lowest power topmount turbo GT-R :D You will have to upgrade injectors though, at least 550cc, but I'm of the opinion that you can never have too much injector - I have 1000cc RC Racing, and the car has perfect idle. I got mine from California - Carex sells them, but their price for ONE injector was the same as my entire set of SIX!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Tobie my bro~!!

it will be cool to have nick that turbo elbows at a cheap price, I think the stock manifolds will arrive the stock R34 engine from Japan with harness and other bits, but not really sure.

I know that sometimes you end up spending MORE on shipping from Japan to Korea than the actual price itself.. wonder why, it's fairly close in terms of distance!! I am not importing a plutonium or anything.. :(

Btw, despite of my shallow pocket, I am spending over $10,000 for this "down-grade" tuning.. paying extra $1,300 for the mapping by "wonder who Japanese san.." at K'Z Racing Garage..

Our last conversation & your warning on "if you are lucky your broken ceramic wheels will pop out from the exhaust or unlucky, it will [email protected]#$ your engine" really scared the hell out of me.. lol.

So I am seeking an alternative. There is no way that I can afford to set "another engine up", capable to host T78, so I will be selling the whole set (one nice dude from Australia said he is interested in) and was kindly advised by members here that I can run a set of GT-SS "smoothly" on a stock engine..

I won't drag racing my car, but hopefully turn it into "street friendly" not letting my GTR to be eaten alive by "Hyudai Genesis Coupe".. that will be an absolute disgrace!!!

and later on enjoy the circuit racing with or "future members" lol!!

I need your gracious advice my Master "Tobie!"~!! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh, btw, I got the "injectors" part sorted. Previous owner installed 1000cc injector and I only need a fuel regulator to settle. I sold just the "engine" itself to another guy.. :)

I like "the lowest power topmount turbo GT-R" part but I am afraid it might turn out as a "laggy & less HP, Torque" GT-R with a small "single" turbine..lol

My mechanic even didn't come across with that "genius creativity", in your scenario, I can utilize the rest of the T78 parts except the T78 Turbine... awesome

And another thing.. What shall I do with this "SARD FUEL COLLECTOR TANK"? I saw one of our club members did real smooth job in Japan, but I wonder whether I can do the exact thing here. One bro from Busan (called SPeedLine) asked to purchase this at $350, should I keep it or give away?

If I sell it, I need to buy another internal Fuel pump, If I try to utilize it, I need a proper set up since the fuel is leaking a bit and it's "bloody" dangerous.. :flame::rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I can't remember the spec list for your car, but fuel systems are damned expensive to upgrade to the level you're already at. On the other hand, for a street build, it's overkill.

We'll have to take apart your fuel system and see what's there. If it's a typical fuel system for the 700+bhp the car was running before, there are two pumps in that swirl tank and one "lifter pump" in the regular fuel tank. You could keep one and sell off the other two, as for 500bhp one pump is enough.

Don't worry about the fuel leak, it's fixable. For some reason, the first couple months I had my car, it kept springing pinhole leaks in the fuel hoses - I wonder why that swirl pot uses basic rubber lines. Under high fuel pressure, they always leak. Seems a little ghetto and a bad place to save money - braided hoses only cost around $300.

I think some shopping around would be needed, but I think there has to be a T4 flanged turbo that's way small, like around GT-RS sized, rated for 450-ish horsepower (the GT-RS, used alone, can make up to 460bhp, but as they're used in pairs on the RB26, they make more like 350~400bhp each). I would think something that an Evo engine might use...but even the 2.0 liter SR20DET guys will use a T78!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, btw, I got the "injectors" part sorted. Previous owner installed 1000cc injector and I only need a fuel regulator to settle. I sold just the "engine" itself to another guy.. :)

I like "the lowest power topmount turbo GT-R" part but I am afraid it might turn out as a "laggy & less HP, Torque" GT-R with a small "single" turbine..lol

My mechanic even didn't come across with that "genius creativity", in your scenario, I can utilize the rest of the T78 parts except the T78 Turbine... awesome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.