GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started rebuilding my R32s RB26 and am looking to run approx 400-420hp for the next year or so before upgrading my fuelling/MAFs to take me to 500 ish. I am concerned about putting the stock turbo exhaust elbows back on as they look quite restrictive. Apparently the R34 elbows are a (relatively) cheap upgrade over the standard R32 elbows. Anyone have any confirmation on this? Are the R34 elbows better flowing?

I'm probably looking to avoid the £39 split pipe option on eBay... it's got to be made of cheese for £39??

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Buy yourself some proper elbows HPI ones are around 280 delivered from RHD. With cheap eBay ones you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you got experience with the HPI ones? Do they fit ok? Worth getting them over the Tomei's? Are the R34 elbows a bit poo relative to the Tomei/HPI stuff?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ebay ones = you get what you pay for. I wouldnt buy them.

HPI`s are ok. Tomei have a larger inner diameter. Midori Seibi have the largest inner Diameter. If the HKS with divided pipes are really better, no one knows. HKS says yes, Tomei no.

With all aftermarket elbows you lose mid range power and get a little bit more top end power .

The R34 outlets flow better than R32/R33 do.

My opinion for 500HP buy R34 elbows.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I got R33 elbows (are they any better than the R32 ones?) do they use the same O2 sensor thread as the R32, or would I need adaptors?

·
Registered
584 Posts
As in the design of the r32/33 elbows are the same, or the threading of the sensor bosses is the same?

As you say design R32/R33 is the same, but O2 Sensors are different so also the thread. R32 uses 12mm O2 Sensor and R33/R34 18mm (if iam not wrong)

So you have to buy R32 ones, use O2 Sensors from R33/R34 or need thread adapter.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I would have to disagree HPI elbows are 72mm where as the new Tomei ones are now 68mm ID. Midori indeed are the biggest available. Not had them in person so only going but what I have read.

HKS ones are horrible IMO we junked them and replaced them with some HPI on a friends car.

Mines are different in design but are measuring in at 69mm ID

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/196881-better-late-than-never-19.html

·
Registered
376 Posts
ive had r34s elbows. When i changed to the hpi elbows ive noticed a big difference. But then ive run tomei poncams to.

·
Registered
927 Posts
from what i know, MGT always managed to gain slightly better results with the Tomei Elbows over the HKS, so if there are better ones out there now over the tomei it would be a good assumption that they will flow marginally better.

Hope this helps

James

1 - 20 of 25 Posts