GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the website, store, where i can get a heat jacket for a T51 size turbo 1.0A/r? [ i **think** its the same size as a garrett GT42 1.0A/R ]

also, what is the best method of wrapping the exhaust manifold in heat-retaining wrap?
Do i have to overlap by 50% [making it twice as thick wrap all the way round the exhaust manifold tubes, or just a slight [say 3mm] overlap?

pro's and con's to doing this?

if wrapped incorrectly - could this cause a problem, or just be not as efficient?

I am thinking about doing this - as i 'hear' - doing a turbo hot-side jacket and exhaust manifold heat-wrap can increase powerband by earlier RPM / and give faster spool up [and/or] less 'lag pause' before boost? (something to do with the increased heat - by losing less heat to the engine bay air through the hot exhaust manifold tubing?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Some say that manifold wrapping will make a tubular manifold more prone to cracking due to the higher steel temps.

Others say that wrapped manifolds cool slower and therefore there is less stress on the steel, as it is heating and cooling cycles that make manifolds crack.

So it depends on which camp your in. :)

Would there be a noticeable difference in spool, wrapped or unwrapped?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I was also after one of them turbo jackets/beanies, I know they are available in New Zealand, seen them on the net, but where in the U.K can we get them from??.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
They're on E-bay, search for "turbo beanie", someone in New Zealand is selling them. I'm sure there must be some place in the U.K where you can walk in to a shop and buy them over the counter.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I wrapped my T51r manifold and it warped. I had to skim the gasked face as it had moved 3mm away from the head on each end. My advice is don't bother. I didn't notice and performance differnce with out without wrap.

As a side note, machining the manifold took about 8 hours because it's a bugger to hold and the constant intermittent cutting chipped the tool with great regularity.

·
Registered
351 Posts
would cast manifolds warp the same as st/steal or are they more likly to crack.

On a slightly different note, l have fitted two flexi pipes to my complete downpipe/exhaust cause it is said that the flex/rocking in the exhaust pipe is what damages manifolds?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so wrapping the manifolds is thought to be a bad idea.

what about the 'turbo beanie's' or turbo hot side heat jackets?
doesn't the extra heat kept in not only reduce under bonnet temperatures but also aid faster spool-up?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
IMHO, it's primary use is to reduce under bonnet temps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts