GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help,is it easy to install new stock turbos into r32 gtr or best to get garage to do,1 of mine has bitten the dust and im changing both to steel cores do i need any special equipment or is it just install and go,: sorry complete novice here :eek: thanx

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
As a novice, I would say take it to a garage.

I have done them on the car, and they are a bicth. No special tools that I can re-call, but its been a while since I have done them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok mate i wasnt sure if you had to check the boost or what, didnt think it would be that easy oh well my garage will be much richer now!!thanx

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am in the process of changing mine from R32 turbos to R34 turbos (when I can actually find some!). I have taken the stock ones off and am just waiting for the R34 ones to go back on. I must say it is a major pain in the ass though. I am a complete novice when it comes to engines but I managed to get them off. If I had the money I would pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi mate,i already had quote from garage £1123.00 for both turbos and £450 to fit so not cheap!!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You should be able to find someone cheaper than that. I was thinking around £300-350 should be the going price.

What turbos?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
hi mate,i already had quote from garage £1123.00 for both turbos and £450 to fit so not cheap!!!
If the £1123 is for stock turbos I wouldn't bother. From what I have seen the spangly GT series Garretts can be had for about £1400 (maybe less).

I would haver thought that you could have stockers reworked for a lot less. Was reading SAU and a company there is machining and recoring stock turbos for a lot less. I would imagine a UK firm could do likewise.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If the £1123 is for stock turbos I wouldn't bother. From what I have seen the spangly GT series Garretts can be had for about £1400 (maybe less).

I would haver thought that you could have stockers reworked for a lot less. Was reading SAU and a company there is machining and recoring stock turbos for a lot less. I would imagine a UK firm could do likewise.

Agree with that. The guy that rebuilt the engine in my GTR right before I bought the car had stockers w/ steel internal installed in it for £1100, what a waste. Spend another couple hundred and get some GT-SSs, and put a bigger smile on your face when hitting the go pedal. :thumbsup:

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Get in touch with Turbo Technics and have them rebuilt, to a higher spec.
If their website is correct they quote £600+VAT for a rebuild (I assume each). From what I can see you could get some Garrett -7s/-9s/-5s for the same money. I assume that the newer GT units perform better than the older ones. Does seem to make the rebuild pointless at that price...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If their website is correct they quote £600+VAT for a rebuild (I assume each). From what I can see you could get some Garrett -7s/-9s/-5s for the same money. I assume that the newer GT units perform better than the older ones. Does seem to make the rebuild pointless at that price...
I had no idea of the cost, probably better getting new ones then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx for the info guys i will look at options you have suggested prob go for upgraded turbos,to be honest im not sure exactly what turbos have been ordered,started with a basic dyno test and soon as was started loads black smoke came out exhaust so was stopped and turbos was confirmed as the culprit left to garage to sort out replacements i really trust these guys i know they wont stich me up,i have used them for years on this car and my previous mitsi gto they are called eurospec 2000 if your interesed thanx

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
This thread went from talking about the cost of fitting turbo's to rebuilding them in about 3 posts. :D

I just took my stock turbo's off but my engine is out so was much easier. :thumbsup:
Now ive done it once its would be allot easier to do it a second time, but its a bit of a head F%*& to work out what to do in what order at first. :confused:

First I soaked all of the bolts I could see the night before with WD40. Next day I started with the Lambda sensors on both then the rear heat sheild then the front one. then the water pipes that run on top of the turbo's and attach to the head/block. Then the oil lines and finally the heat sheilds on top of the turbos, (which you couldn't remove with the water pipes in place.) This reavealed the nuts that bolt the turbos to the exhaust manifolds. (they have safety tabs on them) There are also some brackets that hold the turbo's to the block but i left those til last to have some support for the turbos. The side banjo bolts, (x2 on each turbo) need to be persuaded out of the way to finally get them off. Front Turbo first. If you try it the other way round the compressor housing of the rear one hits the front elbow.
I took pictures as I was doing it, if I get a mo i'll post them up.
Took about 3 hours for both turbo's, but I had just taken everything off under and around the plenum so I was knackered! :puke:
;)
bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hey Cris never heard of recycling?
:chuckle:
bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanx guys so glad many of you have got so much knowledge,i will have to come to next meet and c you guys in the flesh so to speak,i need quite a lot of things to make car look better c ya soon .lee

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Hey Cris never heard of recycling?
:chuckle:
bob
I do loads of recycling mate. Just ask my missus, she's heard the same excuses a hundred times!

In all seriousness I see rebuild kits for turbos for peanuts surely someone can produce some super spangly kit using billet/forged wheels for less cost than brand new turbos.

Makes me think that a single conversion whit one of those Holset turbos is the way to go...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts