GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experts care to sort out a confusing subject?.

Larger Intercooler,larger volume.........."Increased Turbo Lag"

OR

Larger Intercooler,reduced flow restriction..."Less Turbo Lag"

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
flow

Charlie,
ask STU what he thinks,He has just had a intercooler more than 4 times bigger to his origonal,pipework twice the size and pipework twice the lenght on his GTS,so ask him about LAG
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK
THE FUTURETIVE:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask Stu "he has a big one"

Over to you Stu :eek:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Intercooler

I had the biggest one (Trust) that would fit into the R34 (without getting an anglegrinder out) fitted by Abbey ... and it made no noticable difference to lag.

which is not really surprising as it's likely to flow air at the same or better rate than standard. ("same" coz maybe although it's larger and bigger piped, it has more restrictions inside).

It made a big difference to the cooling however :)

Cheers

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've got a big one!

Charlie,

I don't like to boast about these things but hey...:D . Increasing the size of my intercooler and adding the extra pipe work has definately not increased my turbo lag. I actually have less now than I had with with my standard spec and thats saying something for a GTS as we have very little lag anyway.

HTH

Stu:smokin:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Picture

Fuggles has sent me a few pics of the engine which nicely shows off the pipework. I would post a few pics but I can't seem to reduce the file size without destroying the image.

Can anyone help a useless pleb like me as I also like to use one of the images as my avatar:rolleyes: ?

Cheers in advance,

Totally useless with computers....Stu

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have loads of info on the thermal properties of intercoolers
with regard to their acting mostly as a heatsink and airflow over their fins not making much instant charge temp decrease - PM me I will send you the info - I won't put it here as no doubt someone will pick holes in the theories and insinuate I am full of it

I learn very quickly

Phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've fitted a large Trust intercooler to my GTS wit a lot more length of pipe work (angle grinder earned it's keep). No noticable increse in lag, but I wouldn't really expect any as the increase in internal volume is tiny compared with the amount of air being shifted by the turbo.

John

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I am full of it "

Phil, any info on internal tube turbulators or whatever tricks bits make for a good intercooler?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Standard turbo still with no plans to change until it needs rebuilding / replacing.

Can't see much point in doing anything else, espeacialy until I get my problems resolved re loss of grunt.

John:smokin:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey John,

Have you managed to get a front bumper/spoiler for your GTS to balance out that Bomex rear wing ?

Talat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No mate

I would like to replace the front end coz, as you say, it needs balancing.

If you know of anything, let me know.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts