GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. i am planning to get a turbo manifold for my 34 gtr, but the problem, i heard alot of bad reviews saying that the HKS manifold is prone to crack :smokin: .Beside i think now HKS has seize production in their manifold .. therefore my next option is going to be the Tomei's manifold. Anyone has any good or bad experiences to share? :confused:

Thanks guys..!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You may find that all none exotic, well supported aftermarket tubular manifolds crack, hence why 99% of OE road car turbo engine makers use cast iron manifolds. They don't nail excess weight on for no good reason :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
what's the reason ur changing manifolds? theres no real reaosn to go changing them, unless ur running failry large turbos (i.e GT-RS) as with larger low-mounted turbo's they start to surge or your stock ones have cracked.

if your really worried about ur stocko's keeping up performance, get them extrude honed, and match ported to ur head/turbo's :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have seen quite some manifolds of the exotic brands that also cracked.. I think that some extra support should be needed for any tubular manifold since the weight of the turbo's and the exhaust + extreme heat puts a lot of stress on the manifold, and that causes the cracks.

The " exotic" brands are anyhow much better constructed and won't crack as easy, but they certainly can.. If its not supported enough I should make some extra supports to relief some stress of the manifold.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The " exotic" brands are anyhow much better constructed and won't crack as easy, but they certainly can..
I think when Chris Wilson said
You may find that all non exotic, well supported aftermarket tubular manifolds crack
he was refering to exotic MATERIALS such as Inconel in comparison to stainless, not BRANDS like HKS , TOMEI etc...... :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm betting that of the majority of the cracks *assuming high quality* were people using wrap on the piping without changing it out every 6mo or so. Wrapping manifold not only hold in heat but moisture as well and will degrade the integrity of the metal after a while. Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I think when Chris Wilson said he was refering to exotic MATERIALS such as Inconel in comparison to stainless, not BRANDS like HKS , TOMEI etc...... :)

I can't find an edit button, I meant to type "un" supported, not well supported. If your budget won't stretch to a custom manifold you can prolong the life of el cheapo ones by taking the weight of the turbo(s) and wastegate(s) off them with supports. They even did this with the Inconel manifolds they used in the nineteen eighties F1 turbo era. Examples on my ftp site at
ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/F1_turbo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.