GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been taking some photos of a couple of my turbos and thought some of you might be interested as its a pretty cool size comparison...

One is a T4 sized turbo rated to approx 550-600bhp, so pretty big, a decent sized single, thats for sure.

The other one, well, is a mite bigger... (if you want a size comparison, the inlet is 6inches in diameter and its a job to pick the turbo up its so damn heavy)

(pls ignore the slight oxidisation on the turbine housing of the bigger one, was left in a damp garage for a while, its still unused as yet)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Think steve's been raiding the scania parts bin! :D
That makes my T78 look tiny!
whats it came from?

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBH mate, itd not really be suitable for most lorries as they have huge capacity and low bhp per litre, so they wouldnt have a compressor that big, and would normally have a turbine housing that small!

Its a 1600bhp+ compressor, but the turbine is relativley tiny, and has an a/r ratio of just .86, wheras most big truck turbos have 1.3 a/r more, often much more.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is thats cracks on the huge turbo compressor housing ?
No. Infact they raised areas.

Its never been run or fitted to an engine.

Its got a plasticy sorta spray coating and they ridges from that as whoever did it obv didnt care about what it looked like.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
lol

And i thought the vented bonnets were for air circulation :)

How is the project coming along Steve, can't see the pictures at work.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Steve, you'd be sucking people off the pavement as you drove past.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, awesome, i just been doing some research, lots of research!

Its a Garrett GT60 :eek:

Good for upto 2000bhp it seems :) (tho with the spool friendly .84 housing im sure its not that much, but their minimum rating is 1450bhp, so its obv still good for 1600bhp+)

Best 90 pounds i ever spent :D

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Bloody hell, for £90 you should just keep it in the living room for decoration!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts