GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bought a turbo off Gary @ GT-Art which I sent straight away to Turbo Technics for a hybrid job to be done on it. The guy there called me after a day to tell me that he can't do anything with it because it's roller bearing and they don't do roller bearings.

His advice was then to bring along the turbo thats currently on my car and he will rebuild that one instead. Well guess what...it's a roller bearing too!

Can any of you guys tell me who rebuilds your turbos? And are GTR's rollerbearing too?

Thanks in advance!

James

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who r they?

Not tried them. Number would be great. Thanks Peter

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
That's right, Bean. Factory R34 GT-R turbos have a ball bearing core while the factory R33 and R32 GT-R turbos have 276 degree thrust bearings (this is off the top of my head so it could be off a degree or so). This obviously assumes that we are talking about factory Nissan items - maybe Driftaholic has some after market stuff.

As for rebuilding ball bearing turbos, the shops I've talked to generally don't like to deal with them as the time costs involved in the rebuild process with the ball bearing core (due to tolerances) makes it cheaper to just buy a newer center section.

Cya O!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think

All GTS's are ball bearing cores. The one I bought has Nissan on the compressor housing and so does the one I got off my car last night! My mate who removed the turbo for me was suprised too!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
James,

Craig at Turbo Dynamics is very good ... does all our turbos here...

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where's here?

Danoh, you not telling me something? Are you really an F1 engine builder? Is your GTS going to be faster than mine?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
lol ... Not an F1 engine builder no, I work with SAABs for my sins, obviously all of them are now Turbocharged so we do have a lot of contact with Turbo people. I wouldnt go so far as so say mine will be quicker, I've got a clutch master cylinder to replace before its rolling at all :(

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
477 Posts
The nice folks at Turbo Dynamics did a lovely job in the turbo on my GTSt. :D

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts