GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i imported my R33 GTST it had a turbo timer on but when i had a CAT1 alarm fitted i was told it would have to be taken out which is was. Now im thinking should i put it back or not ??? Second how does the panel under the panel under the steering column come off. I found three screws but there seems to be 2 clips still holding it or have i missed something ?? thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry if it sounds like a daft question although ive had lots of jap imports this is my first turbo

·
Registered
45 Posts
Turbo Timer

The turbo timer allows the turbo to cool down after a run - these turbos can get very hot during operation and if you can give it time to cool all the better - I set mine at 1 min +, I would if I were you connect it back up as soon as possible. Cannot help on panel removal sorry!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Technically Turbo Timers do interfere with the operation of cat 1 alarms/immobilisers due to the fact that they won’t arm properly whilst the engine is still running.

However most alarm fitters won't actually remove the device when fitting the alarm and still issue you with a certificate of compliance.

Seeing as you aren't supposed to leave a vehicle that is unattended with the engine running anyway - most people just sit and wait for the minute or so required to cool down the turbo's after a spirited bout of driving in the car.

So essentially you could just count to 60 or re-fit the device - it's up to you.. :)

I've heard that it is possible to fit some sort of by-pass device that would allow you to lock the car whilst the turbo timer is still counting down, but I am unaware of who sells this component.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i ve just got an import gtr want turbo timer and cat 1 alarm/immobiliser will turbo timer count down with alarm/immobiliser active??

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i ve just got an import gtr want turbo timer and cat 1 alarm/immobiliser will turbo timer count down with alarm/immobiliser active??
if you fit somthing like a viper 790xv alarm(not sure about others but i,ve got one of these so i know it works) then you can lock the door and walk away and the alarm/imobiliser will not set untill the turbo timer stops but 30 seconds after it stops the car automatically alarms and imobilisers itself.

hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks mate, good help
if you fit somthing like a viper 790xv alarm(not sure about others but i,ve got one of these so i know it works) then you can lock the door and walk away and the alarm/imobiliser will not set untill the turbo timer stops but 30 seconds after it stops the car automatically alarms and imobilisers itself.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Unless you live on a motorway, or out in the sticks I'd say don't bother with one at all.

At least for me most journeys end up in a town so I'm driving for a mile or two off boost anyway, which is a better way to cool things down (including turbo) imho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts