GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, all you hardcore tuners out there will probably laugh but can some one tell me what a Turbo Timer is and how it helps?!

Cheers,

Stupid from Kent!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
not a tuner but..

A Turbo timer is something to eliminate hot shutdowns.

some of them work out how hard you have driven the car and adjust the cooling period appropriately.

they just allow the car to run a tick over so oil keeps circulating around the turbos while the spin down and reduces the wear and tear on the bearings etc within the turbo.

If you were to do the capri style rev it up and switch it off shut down the turbos are spinning at about 200000 rpm and suddenly oil is shut off and cooling water is no longer provided. thus the turbo doesn't last long.

hope this helps..

Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankx for that!! Another part to buy then.........B****y cars, more expencive than the wife!!

Richard

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
just let it tick over for a minute before you switch it off....

thats what I do. If ive been ragging it I let it tick over for longer.

/steve

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Cooling

Or for the last mile or so of your journey just drive it easy... Suggested to me by my neighbor as they are feb up with me car ticking over "loudly" when I get in from work... interferes with the telly....:D :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drive it easy???!!! Your 'avin a laugh!:p

F**k the nieghbours, they've had the builders in since may, payback time!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
they ought to be thankful they don't live where my girlfriend does !! there is a resident gang of maxers who use the garage access way as a drag strip at 12:00 at night . One of them even wrote off a wall with his driving prowess.

they all have baked bean tin exhausts and sound like wet farts but they are loud !!

thought about sinking to their level and showing em how its done in a real car but I can't be arsed.

I also take it easy for the last mile of the journey.

/Steve

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Do you drive slow for the last mile?

We ought to have a poll on this one:D
I live in a 30 mph zone but find that I cannot come off islands/pull out of junctions/pull off from traffix lights slowly. So I do not take it easy for the last mile of my journey.
Make the neighbours suffer or get a quieter exhaust;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live down some wonderfull country roads and just cant help myself, especially after having sat on the M25 for an hour in the rush hour!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Is it worth fitting an oil temp guage to the oil drain from the turbos so that you can see when they've cooled down enough?

Presumably once all of the internal component heat has bled out and been carried away with the oil, a marked reduction in oil drain temperature would be seen (then you know it's safe to switch off) ... ?

On a related issue, I did once hear about someone fitting electric oil pumps to a turbo engine; the oil pumps kicked in for a while when you turned the engine off to allow the turbos to cool properly. Anyone else heard of that?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The main issue is switching off the car when the turbos are still spinning. leaving the car ticking over means the turbos can spool down and cool at the same time with the oil etc circulating.

The bearings don't last long with hot shutdowns.

I have seen these oil pump ideas, they look like a good idea.

I couldn't be bothered though just ticking over for a min or two if good enough for me.

/Steve

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi all,i agree with steve just let it cool down for a minute or so driving steadly for a mile would be of extra benefit before switch off too,had a turbo timer on my MR2 gts it was very useful until you pull into a garage to fill up had to park out the way until i could pull up to the pumps and switch off!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
suggestion - move to Central London - no choice but to drive it easy for the last 5 miles....;)

worked for me

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Ah but the advantage of the electric oil pump thing is that there is no exhaust at all going through the turbos to keep them spinning. This way, when the oil feed stops the turbos have stopped completely (rather than slowed down) and would probably have cooled more than they would with the engine on tickover.

Whether the difference is worthwhile is a different matter ... and one I can't answer!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts