GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just got the sad news that my new steel turbo’s that I had installed just a few weeks ago have blown internally.

The background is I had the original turbo’s sent to Japan to have steel internals fitted to handle up to 1.2 bar, then in June I went to Nuerburgring, I had meet a group of people from Belgium. I took the first group of 3 out no problems at all then having changed passengers on the second lap exiting out of Adenauer Forst I noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust as I lifted of the gas.

There was no noticeable loss of power but I took it gently home and trailed my car to the garage that takes care of my car these days.

Robert removed and returned the turbo’s to Nissan their diagnosis was that both internals had blown probably because of ‘to much pressure on the intake’ this doesn’t make much sense to me.

I think I should also mention that I have never actually run 1.2 bar and on the day was running .7 bar.

Question is though what is likely to cause the turbo’s to go like this?

Paul.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
This sounds obvious, but did Nissan actually confirm the internals were steel? Why did you send them off to Japan to get done instead of using someone like Abbey for example?

Technically speaking the only reason turbos would blow - to my knowledge - is a combination of too much boost pressure for the grade of turbo, or general wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
A boost leak can blow turbos too as they overspeed whilst trying to match the wastegate controlled pressure.

if they died that quickly it could be a mistake from assembly/manufacture.

Oil feed problem? Oil return problem?

What has actually "blown" - bearings/compressor wheel/ turbine?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit more history

Durzel,

The work was done buy Robert Brunes who is fact is a Nismo engineer he takes care of the Nismo endurance racers when they are in Europe.

He can officially only use original Nissan parts on the Skylines he services, he also got me a good deal with the Nissan steel turbo’s it seamed like a good idea at the time.

Lightspeed,

Originally it was thought to be just an oil seal on the front turbo caused by ‘overheating’ although I’m not sure how that could be because the car wasn’t practically hot when the seal went, after a close examination there was ‘savior damage to both turbo’s possibly caused by incorrect pressure at the intake’ they would like to do some test on the car on the August 13th to see what could have caused this.

This seems to be a little implausible because I was using a Greddy profect b boost controller set at .7 bar and a SPA digital boost gauge set to alarm at 1 bar but the warning light had not flashed once while on the circuit.

Paul.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul,

If you'd sold me your old 2510's I may not have had all these problems ;)

Paul.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

I spent most of yesterday going through some boost pressure tests and result was that the hose that goes to the actuator was to big and the outlet from the damaged turbo was also over sized and causing back pressure at lift to stall the turbo :eek:

We now have a reliable setup for 1.1 bar. This will mean as slight reduction in power but it does feel a little more responsive i.e. a little less lag.

I’ll find out how much power I have a G-force in a couple of weeks.

Paul.

PS Paul M why don’t you buy the Nismo clutch from Shin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts