GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the issues of fitting the downpipes, i have purchased some gtc ones and am now considering upgrading turbos whilst the engine is out.
Any suggestions as to the best options out there?

·
Vendor
480 Posts
If you are sticking with the stock motor a set of 'stage 1' turbos which are basically a VF34 internal upgrade will support around 750hp but are pretty much at their max at that level, cost around £2400-2800 a pair.
Next step if you have intention of building your engine or want really good top end power, a set of 'stage 2' turbos would be needed, there are quite a few options, all of which vary in technology type but some are better than others, am currently testing the newest turbo technology to be run in a GTR turbo, results later next week, cost around £4600-5200 a pair. These will be fine to run at 1.2-1.4 bar on a stock motor producing around 720-750hp (torque capped around 620-640ftlb) but if you build your motor will happily run to 2+ bar boost and produce around 850hp.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I'd go for a set of mine.

No one else will tell you this as I believe mine is the only GT-R in the world to have been fitted with these. They are the smallest Borg Warner EFR options available.

Will make 800bhp if really pushed hard but sit very comfortably at 750bhp. On a stock engine as said above, cap the torque but you can make the power at the top without a problem.

Reason I suggest these is that unlike any other options recommended, these will spool up faster than the stock turbos (genuinely side by side in logs and even on the dyno) and will respond better transiently.

Put your foot down in any gear at any speed and these will awaken faster than any other option. It makes the car quite interesting to drive without you having to forge the engine, if you do decide to, you can up the boost and run 800+ lbft.

·
Vendor
480 Posts
Your efr setup does look great Adam!
For the power levels we are looking at here (stage '1' and stage '2') does your latest setup run on stock manifolds/intakes/oil+water lines/down pipes? If not, what is a ballpark cost for this current setup?
Andy

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Andy, they do run in stock housings but are a much more expensive option that what you suggest due to not using the stock core but that's where the advantage lies. I think they use the same lines as the garrett options so will need modding. Defo not cheap circa 4500 I think.

Conrad, Ben can offer them but to my knowledge all he has sold so far have been 6758s. Turbo dynamics' stockpiling for gtr purposes was also the bigger option. Seems I was the only person stupid enough to try the smaller ones. Am still being advised that the 6758s are more suitable with little trade off, but the extra 100 they have up top is definitely useless on a stock engine hence this suggestion. I guess not many people spending on stage 5+ want to cap their power potential to not much more than the stage 4.5 so can't see many peopke trying them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Andy, they do run in stock housings but are a much more expensive option that what you suggest due to not using the stock core but that's where the advantage lies. I think they use the same lines as the garrett options so will need modding. Defo not cheap circa 4500 I think.

Conrad, Ben can offer them but to my knowledge all he has sold so far have been 6758s. Turbo dynamics' stockpiling for gtr purposes was also the bigger option. Seems I was the only person stupid enough to try the smaller ones. Am still being advised that the 6758s are more suitable with little trade off, but the extra 100 they have up top is definitely useless on a stock engine hence this suggestion. I guess not many people spending on stage 5+ want to cap their power potential to not much more than the stage 4.5 so can't see many peopke trying them.
Oh sorry I thought yours were 6758's? So yours are smaller and do nearly 800hp and the 6758's make nearly 900? Yeah, Defoe not for a standard engine then :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
480 Posts
Thanks for that Adam, good to know the full range of options for people. So yours are what could be considered a 'luxury' setup if you like, for people who want the absolute maximum with the stock motor and ultimate response. Very nice :)
I daresay if you were intending to build the motor, the bigger turbos may be on the list as 800ftlb would be a little excessive in most circumstances, happily trade some off for more top end pull.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adam where did you get your set of turbos? have spoken to Ben at GTC and am considering the upgrade but will take a week or so. Anyone know where i get get a set of turbos asap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far I have purchased
Carbon forge intakes
Ansu Injecters(gtc)
Suction pipes(gtc)
downpipes(gtc)

Car already had Ecutek map and Miltek non res y pipe.

Fitting the downpipes a stud snapped in the turbo so i had to then remove engine to sort the thread.
Now the engine is out am considering upgrading the turbos but want to do something asap, am a little impatient

·
Vendor
480 Posts
Most of the 'stage 1' upgrades will take 7-10 days to turn round, most of the 'stage 2' ones with a change to the core (non IHI) are 15-20 days expected from most turbo companies.
I'd recommend a fuel pump upgrade as well with the turbos for safety and a known amount of headroom.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Andy, didn't realise that's how you labelled stage 1 or 2.

Customise, if Ben can do them for you in a week, that's pretty good going, I'd stick with him.

Not sure that anyone other than Ben and Iain do the EFR conversion in the UK, so you could try Iain but as said above, a week turnaround is good going. These things don't sit on the shelf as a core exchange is usually required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts