GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed today i can her the turbos spinning around after i switch the engine off.

i was shocked at first,then i rang someone who knows a lot about skylines and they said that was normal.

out of all the turbo charged cars ive owned ive only ever noticed it on the gtr.

anyone else experienced this ?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Roller bearing turbos sound louder than plain bearing turbos.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh the gtr is the first turbo charged car ive owned with the turbos having steel internals.

garrett gt2860r's

its loud as well :D

as i said never heard it on my rx-7,scooby celica gt4 or my pulsar

i thought something was wrong :eek:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
hehe, I get this if I forget myself and switch off straight after a fast run instead of letting it idle for a while :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is the reason why turbo timers were invented, so that after spirited driving the engine can keep running at idle to allow the turbos to slow down while still getting oil pressure. When you hear the turbos spinning after shut off they are running without fresh oil being delivered.:)

Tony

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I know :) but its a crappy old turbo and as soon as its nackered I have an excuse to upgrade :) Just imagine them bearings running at 20,000 rpm or so with no oil feed oooooooooo >:)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yep, Makes me cringe, I promise I will most definitely look after the new one, But this old T3 seems to be bullet proof...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I know :) but its a crappy old turbo and as soon as its nackered I have an excuse to upgrade :) Just imagine them bearings running at 20,000 rpm or so with no oil feed oooooooooo >:)
not very wise... i can imagine the compressor wheel shredding itself to bits and getting sucked up into your engine, and then screwing everything else up by getting all those metal bits in.

or are you also planning a full engine rebuild :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Full rebuild is also in the pipeline, I just dont get the time I need to do it though...

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is the reason why turbo timers were invented, so that after spirited driving the engine can keep running at idle to allow the turbos to slow down while still getting oil pressure. When you hear the turbos spinning after shut off they are running without fresh oil being delivered.:)

Tony
The turbo will slow down but will still spin for a short period of time after shut off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts