GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought that it depends what actuators are used...

As standard isn't it about 1.3bar... but about 1.6 ish bar with uprated actuators...

(This is what I'd gathered for other GT25 series turbos, but 2540's could be different)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I do not know the difinitive answer.
I think it depends on your cams as well. Big overlap probably makes obtaining a boost harder.
I had 1.6 1.7 bar with 2540s and 272 cams

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I asked is because I am trying to distinguish what turbo's are on my car.

Yesterday I tried to run 1.4kg/m by programming my evc... it seemed to struggle to hold 1.4 kg/m. Of course there could be another reason for it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmm, seems like a very brave way to try and find out what turbo's you have...... something is likely to go bang!

·
Registered
176 Posts
MACH 1 MARC said:
What is the maximum boost that 2540's can kick out... Does anyone know?

Marc
On a 2568cc motor upto 9000rpm, they can push upto 2.1Kg/cm2 at a reasonable efficiency. Generally, you wouldn't want to wind them up much past 1.9 Kg/cm2.

Mario.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The ABSOLUTE MAX for the 2540's would be 2 bar. I have seen cars with 2540's running them at 2 bar boost. (for all the people who don't have a clue what bar is [ gotta be pretty dumb], 1 bar = 13.5psi)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
x]SPHYNX[x said:
(for all the people who don't have a clue what bar is [ gotta be pretty dumb], 1 bar = 13.5psi)
LOL!... I was under the impression that 1 bar = 14.7 psi. ;)

Cya O!

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Just to make it plain.

1 bar =14.5psi
1 Atm = 14.7psi

Bar is used as a measure acting from within forcing outward to a lower pressure area. Like the air confined in your tyres.

Atm, means 'atmosphere' and is used to denote pressure acting on confined air, as in the pressure acting on the hull of a Sub-marine.

Similar masures used in different circumstances, if you then think about this then an NA engine is running at 1 atm, the natural barometric pressure, but we call this '0' on our dials.

(incidentally 1KG/cm sq. is 14.2psi)

(I'm saying Jack about people being dumb)

(Put the gun down Dan:D )

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mycroft said:
Just to make it plain.

1 bar =14.5psi
1 Atm = 14.7psi

Bar is used as a measure acting from within forcing outward to a lower pressure area. Like the air confined in your tyres.

Atm, means 'atmosphere' and is used to denote pressure acting on confined air, as in the pressure acting on the hull of a Sub-marine.

Similar masures used in different circumstances, if you then think about this then an NA engine is running at 1 atm, the natural barometric pressure, but we call this '0' on our dials.

(incidentally 1KG/cm sq. is 14.2psi)

(I'm saying Jack about people being dumb)

(Put the gun down Dan:D )
Mycroft is one of the few people that has it right - this is one of my pet hates:

1 bar == 14.5 PSI when talking about forced induction (i.e.: boost).

1 bar == 14.7 PSI when talking atmospheric pressure.

1 Kg/cm2 == 14.223 PSI.

Just to clarify - and prove that I'm not dumb, either... ;)

Mario.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
1 kg/cm2 =14.223 psi and 1 bar does not equal 1 kg/cm2... I can honestly say I wasn't aware of those differences. Its good to know too, as it makes engine power numbers more impressive for a given boost level. Thanks for that clarifying information, MyCroft and MarioGTR.

Cya O!

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeesh you guys

http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

1 bar = 14.503774 lbf/square inch (PSI)
1 bar = 0.986923 atmosphere
1 bar = 1,019.716213 gram force/sq cm

Now go and work out the rest yourself :)

One thing I doubt very much that 1 bar means one thing in forced induction and another thing to the rest of the world....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
you doubt wrong then.

In Scuba Diving you use bar as a pressure unit to see how much air you have in your cylinder and these bar represent ATM pressure not forced induction.

It is common when doing the conversion in your head to use 14.5 psi = 1 bar but it is not as accurate as using the proper conversion factor of 14.7 PSI. Just awkward to work out when you are planning emergency decompression or something and you are 20m underwater !!

/Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts