GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 'box in my R33 GTR is showing signs of synchro issues on 1st and 3rd. I know there are a lot of threads out there discussing the refurb versus 2nd hand box dilemma - the box in question is a used one fitted about four years ago. Currently there are a few used boxes for sale in the order of £600 for around 40,000km but I know the risks of going the 'cheap and easy' route. The biggest issue for me, as the Skyline is my daily drive, would be the turnaround time for getting my box refurbished. Can anyone comment from recent experience? The idea of bussing to/from work every day for months while parts ship from Japan is what out me off going the refurb route last time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No one know what will happen then you buy a used box. So no one can give you a garantie.
Save way is to refurbish your old box else buy a used and take the risk.
If you buy the gearbox parts from RHD Japan you will get it in 1 or 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I was going to just swap for a low mileage box but I'm currently getting quotes from gearbox rebuilders. Seals, all syncros, the full works. I reckon its going to easily be north of 1k exc oil and fitting

·
Registered
345 Posts
unfortunately most car owners have to face a problem like this at one time or another.
in my personal opinion i would get the box refurbed (good excuse for upgraded parts?) as buying 2nd hand you may just run into this exact problem again not to far in the future.
refurbing will cost more and take longer, but the peace of mind you have knowing you have a good solid gearbox now that is not likely to break anytime soon is worth it!.
sometimes 'buy cheap, buy twice' couldn't be more true.

hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts