GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Am new to forum, and ownership of this Black Beauty. I recently purchased Keith Cowies' R33, with all the toys on it. Love the car! I have brought it in not so legal like, and need to know how to turn off front wheel torque to put car on a dyno for emissions testing. I have Apex'i, and will play with fuel injectors at 50%, and if needed put a high flow catalytic on her to pass. Problem is my friend works at the state emissions station, and needs it to push with the rear wheels, since dyno sets itself up for the type of car entered into computer before testing begins. Thanks all.
:smokin: :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Big Congratulations on your excursion from Aberdeen Scotland / over the pond to Colorado USA.

Keith was telling me you had an "interesting" journey home, how about filling us in on the details.:)

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard!!!!

Well.. I'd love to tell you all about how my excursion went, but as I have been told by many, this site is scoured by Motorex, and after talkin to them on the phone, they seem like the types that would go out of thier way to make my life hard with the government. Just to own a car, what a bunch of crap! I guess if my business was to be the only one someone could get something---also known as a monopoly, supposedly illegal here in the states!-- I wouldn't want to have any competition or have anyone get my product unless I got my cut! Sounds like extortion, but I didn't do it the most legal, according to US law. The land of the free, huh? Yeah, if you pay the right people or are part of the system I guess. Funny how we declared independence from the king, to just get a big brother to tell us what to do instead! Sorry, I shouldn't ramble on like this, just upsetting all the stuff I had to go thru, the risk to my life(More than once I thought I was going to be killed by either the people or the military police I had to go thru. -(not anyone from the UK every one of you folks were very helpful, and completely understanding) just to get myself my dream car. I paid 35,000 US dollars for a car with 21k miles, and about 500 horsepower! There was no way I could have afforded the 60,000 US dollars motorex wanted for a '96 , I don't understand why I should be forced to pay it either. They are only doing things to make car safer for me, but whether I want that stuff should be up to me, not the government. Long live the Libertarians!!www.LP.org
Thanks for being understanding, And .MAD PROPS TO KEITH COWIE for putting up with me while I stressed about car.
BigH-please refer to me with this name if you do know me by my real name, it'll keep things easier for me. thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a fuse under the hood, If you pull it it will stay rear power only. I doe'nt recall what it is labeled off the top of my head, something like "traction control".

If you look at the main fusses, it should be obviouse.

Hope that helps,
Robb

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Robb....

I had an Subaru SVX, and it also had a fuse, I'm glade you knew where it was, thanks much Robb, it does help alot.

BigH.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rear drive....

So I am understanding removing the fuse is no good for much driving. Will it burn out the clutches even if only under light load for under 2 min? I can pull the fuse just before the emissions test, then replace it... If there is any risk then I will remove front drive shaft. Just seems alot for small emissions test, I have seen jap spec cars at drag strips in mags that seem to be running only rear wheel drive. I was kinda hoping to just pull fuse, but only if no damage occurs. Why is rear wheel drive even able to be done, if not safe for short amounts of time. I do have someone who can get me the shop manual for 150 dollars US if anyone is interested. I should be able to do it with shipping included to UK.

bigh

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
i will second you on this to Guy
not worth the chance and the cost
have been told the bill to sort box can cost up tp £1600.
i have the HKS torque split unit in my new car it is good for making the car 4wd all the time and you can set the amount of torque going to the front.
you can switch off the front to make the car two wheel drive
then you will see wheel spin, the car turns into a real beast,
but even when set to rwd only you can not dyno it because there is still a small amount of drive to the front wheels.
it is ok on the road because the rear wheels are driving the car forward it is not putting any strain on the t/box.

TAKE THE FRONT PROP OFF

KEITH

Attachments

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pullin the Prop...

Well, I have to agree that with the availablity of parts being NONE where I'm at, pulling the front drive shaft off is best. Now, how do ya do it? I'm mech. inclined and just wanna make sure I don't screw it up. From looking at it I see the bolts on the shaft at the front differential, but I don't see where the shaft is removable from the front side of the transfer case. Pulling the slave cylinder off, and moving the support bar seems basic. Does the shaft pull out as half shafts from the trannies of front wheel drives, with a slight tug, maybe? If this be the case, usually all the transmission fluid is also lost, possibly is the unit sealed for this type of work? Or is it more involved? Sure will be nice when I get ahold of a manual, but until then I've got the collective brains of all U brits and scots to ease me thru this problem, Yes...:D? They will not allow plates until I can prove the emissions are ok, and I have shown it to be a kit car with a rear wheel drive line from another nissan sports car that is legal here. So you can see where this is imparative. I want to DRIVE.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Keith....

I noticed that the rear O2 sensor was pretty "gurted" up. and was on what looks like a catalytic convertor. Is the cat' gutted or does this cat already work, and purchasing another one is pointless? I already found another cat' with 3 inch inlets+outlets, but has no place for O2 sensor. I'm sure I could heli coil a new screw in for 02 on the new cat', but don't want to screw with current fuel maps if I am putting a cat' on a car that was set up with no back pressure from cat' in the first place. I also found a muffler shop that will do work for cash, since it is illegal to mess with cats' unless they are just replacing a stock cat' with another stock cat'. So need to know what was up with this exhaust before I recieved, if possible. If you don't know, then I will just have to do some investigating while exhaust is off of car.
H.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hello charlie,

you mentioned that if the ETC is set to rwd only, there is still a small amount of drive to the front wheels.

is that true???

i have see an article talking about a r33 & a r34 both with the ETC doing dyno testing.

when it's in 4wd mode, r33 is 420 & r34 is 450 on wheel and when it's in rwd mode, r33 is 432 & r34 is 465 on wheel.

the article said that the front wheel has no power at all when it's set to rwd only.

just some opinions.

michael.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
take the 4 bolts out that holds the prop to the shaft then it will just pull out no oil will come out because it is sealed.
you can drive the car like this but watch out for wheelspin,
there is no fancy way to fit it back on as there is no keyway
on the shaft.
when the prop is off there will be a warning light that will come on the dash dont worry about it.
it will go off once you fit the prop back on.
then drive car and everything will be back where you started.

keith

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
o2 sensor

there is not a cat on the car it has a cat replace pipe
the sensor in it is only a heat warning sensor for cat you can run with it out if you want.
the two o2 sensors are in the turbo elbows behind each turbo
if you look down between the pipework you can see the o2 sensors hope this helps.

keith

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
keith

It helps very much, thank you. Nice to know there is no cat there, and small sensor is only heat, makes things a bit easier.

:cool:

h.

·
Registered
49 Posts
do any of you have a link to info and a price on the HKS torque split controller.
And doesn't Veilside make a manual one (lever w/ hydraulics i think) and I think Blitz might also.
Anyone have any info and prices on those other brands?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts