GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone got any experiences of skylines against the TVR ceberra (think thats how you spell it) there's an argument brewing on the sxoc web site one of the posts reads something like this : against the tvr whatsit the skyline is very pedestrian, what do you guys think as i think its a load of b*ll*cks my self.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TVR

TVR cerbera, rolling start against a standard/restricted skyline would be a walkover in favour of the cerbera.

I had one for a year before my current R34 and loved it.
Switched to a skyline because it was the only thing to get anywhere near the performance once modified.

A modified skyline could be quicker than a cerbie but what sort of bhp it would take is another thing, probably 500ish

Cerbie tuning runs to de-cat pipe, sports exhaust and maybe a bit of head work, maybe 30 bhp if you're lucky.

I tried to get the bloke that bought mine to take it to ten of the best but he couldn't make it.

I'm on the lookout for one at the moment so for next year i should have one and the NUR should be around 550-600 bhp.
Should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've seen a Cerbera on the 'Ring last Saturday. They were finished after about 1 hour on the Ring. Engine troubles...
Say no more nudge nudge...;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
tvr s

i dont know anything about them appat from they dont like being reliable at bedford 2 whent on 1 came off engine trouble!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
see the interesting kills thread, I had a little run in with a tvr chimera wotsit.

he was in front and booted it I was behind and booted it, I had to ease off so I didn't drive into the back of him, at 145 he pulled over I went up into fifth and he waved as I pissed past.

nice note, good looks. simply not as awesome as a skyliine.

to get the best out of one you'd need to be a racing driver.
and in the wet don't even think about it.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
520 Posts
Chimeras are a bit pants really. They are not as quick as the Cerbera.

IIRC there are 3 engines available in the Cerbera:

4.0 Straight Six - ~350bhp
4.2 V8 - 360bhp
4.5 V8 - 420bhp

They only weigh about 1100kg, so a 4.5 Cerbera would have the same power to weight as a 580bhp R33 (~380bhp/ton). :cool:

They are fast cars. Although I have heard several rumours of TVR press cars being quite different to the ones sold to customers (blueprinted engines etc etc.), so on the road / track it may be a different story.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sorry mate it was a Cerbera, I can't remember the names..

2 exhausts rounded back (not as much as a tuscan) but lower and squarer (whilst being rounded) than the griffifth..

I am just a muppet with the TVR names.

/Steve

·
Registered
520 Posts
TVR names are stupid. Cerbera, Tuscan, Chimera...

Why they have to make them so complicated? They should take a lesson from the Japs.

Nissan Skyline R34 V-Spec II Nur Edition is much easier to remember. ;)

:D

·
Registered
773 Posts
TVR Cerbera in any guise is quicker than a standard Skyline. However, I would bet a 400bhp skyline would be quicker than a Cerb (even the 4.5) unless on a straight road. Driving a cerb hard around bends is not easy - unless your name is Jamie Martin.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Cerberas are very quick, but they apparently don't make the power the factory claims. I think two of the 4.5 press cars were actually 4.7s... I'd be very surprised if you could get near one on the motorway with only 400-420 bhp (I know I couldn't).

Phil

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well the guy pulled over and waved me past (in a friendly manner) then waved at me as I left the motorway.

I was all over his car, going uphill in third and fourth gear. Into fifth and he was left standing.
Might have been a crap one who knows but he was definately booting it, judging by the shit coming out of the exhaust.

If you don't believe me fair enough.. I'm not trying to make my car sound faster than it is, but it was definately quicker than this car which was about half its size with (supposedly more power).
My car is lightly tuned running 415 bhp with 307 LB/ft torque without hard pipes big intercooler or a boost controller.(when Dyno'd)
timed 0-100 in 9.7 seconds 0-60 in 4.2 so it is nothing special in skyline terms.

I got bollocked by the girlfriend as well:rolleyes:

/Steve

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Steve, I don't believe you, you liar... :D

Think it just proves they're not all as quick as the ones the magazines get to test.

Phil

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
You need to see 2 Jeremy Clarkson videos....

1. They race a 4.2l Cerbera Against a Porsche (the 3.8 to 60 one), aston martin, caterham, dodge viper, lotus Esprit v8 TT and a couple of other "supercars". No Lambo Diablo as they'd beaten it in the aston, and ferrari refused to enter a car once they heard what theyd be up against. Was a 1 mile drag, and the TVR whooped 'em all.

2. They got a 4.5l cerbera and raced it against a CLAIMED 600bhp R32...the R32 JUST won.

Against either model, it'll take a high horsepower car (of any type) to match or beat them. In the wet they are a handful (according to a mate of mine who has a 4.0l chimera), so handling wise they won't touch you. In the dry they are rapid - if you know how to drive it !

Some of the lesser models you'd have no problems disposing of - my mate with the Chimera said my GTI-R is quicker than his car..but then his Chimera is only around 240bhp.

TVR's - lovely cars in my opinion.

I've got a book on them (upto the Griff 500 and early snaps of cerbera's) - tells you how they get their names too...

Daz

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't worry Steve... we beleive you

RE: Jeremy Clarkson videos.

The TVR used on the first vid was a TVR press car, so if the rumours are true it is a lot faster than the ones bought from the dealers.

On the second JC vid, the car was Tim Milnes old R32 wasn't it?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Don't get me wrong - it'd be a Skyline for me - and i have no doubts that people have come up against them and done away with them. But they are cars that deserve a lot of respect on the road.

Daz

·
Registered
773 Posts
and they are truly gorgeous inside and out (Cerb and the Tuscan). Just for the record, 0-60 times are around 4 sec mark and 0-100 in low 9's

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
shame about the vauhall astra switches and the ford fiesta back lights.

up close they look like a kit car.

I agree very quick and I'd have one for the exhaust note alone.

Like em. crap reliability though. probably too many ford electrical bits on em :D

/Steve

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The only TVR worth comparing to a modded Skyline is the Speed 12 - now that would be a challenge! ;)

Cya O!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts