Iffy!!

Looks.
Waterproofing.
Dealer back-up.
Police attitude.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
The R32 in the Clarkson "at full throttle" was was Tim Milne's and was driven by VBH. At full boost (1.4 I think) the 2.8 was supposed to produce over 600ps and it certainly felt it!

They did two runs and the GT-R beat the Cerbera easily both times, but the TVR is still a very fast car.
Rolling starts would be much closer!

Andre, the only TVR we saw broken down this weekend was a full blown Tuscan race car, slightly dodgily registered for the road! I heard it had run out of fuel, but we didn't see it go out again.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
TVRs...

mmm went to Le Mans with the cerby crowd this year (great bunch and a real laugh on the piss) and we spent most of the way worrying if we would make it or not. They are just a nightmare for reliability and one of them even lost his bonnet as the catch just snapped off. Just what you need when you spend 30k!

Yes they are quick in a straight line, well the cerby 4.5 is, as is the tuscan but a proper handful in the corners in the wet forget it mate...you have to be very brave. Considering summer is over and we have so few good days in this country...the next 6 months does not bode well for TVR or rear wheel drive ownership...

My mate who had the 4.5 cerby would never take on the skyline as he knew the GTR was quicker A to B, maybe in a straight line, much more traction etc and the cerby was too much of a handful. He has now sold it for a 355 Spyder (as you do!! The 4.5 is closer to 390/400 brake on lots of Dyno days

David we may see you at the ferrari track day on next monday at sliverstone...are you going?? Over 150 raris expected and I might have some BRDC passes!!

Did Tim's car ever come to surface as I heard it got half inched??

I think it depends on the day, the driver, the condition of the car, and whether it is wet. All TVR owners repsect the GTR and likewise...

Depends on what you want really and TVR ownership really is a passion as you have to put up with so much trouble..sound great though, some nice trick bits and some pretty cars.

Just don't ask Rupert about this life with a tuscan!!

NLW

·
Registered
122 Posts
From what I hace read about TVR's, the main problem with differing outputs, is down to the ECU programming.

Unlike the big motor corps, who can spend lots of time testing the ECU programming on different engines, as not all engines are the same tolerances etc depending on tool wear.

So the ECU mapping needs to adjusted if you want to get near the TVR stated output. The press car has of course been individually mapped to give the best from that particular engine.

Leigh

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
LEIGH

Slightly off the mark here but you must meet up with us soon if you have not already...
GAZAP is forming a club called..wait for it..."the berkshire flyers"...:p :smokin:

PMGAY, Tigger, Gaza, NLW, Weston, Brucey, the colonel, Mark Haylett and any other GTRs in the area.

Used to work in Maidenhead (kings Walk) so know it well. I am not a million miles away so hope we can meet up soon.

NLW
PS you are right about diff tolerances and diff outputs...I have seen some 4.2s that are more rapid than the 45s. Good old TVR!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nwlech,

Would love to meet up.

Theres a 300ZX meet on Sunday at the Five Bells in Horton, near Datchet.

Starts 1pm.

Leigh.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
sorry can't do sunday

out driving a 355 :p :p
But soon for sure.
I will be at Boxhill on saturday if you are there...

NLW:smokin:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
David.Yu said:

Andre, the only TVR we saw broken down this weekend was a full blown Tuscan race car, slightly dodgily registered for the road! I heard it had run out of fuel, but we didn't see it go out again.
I've seen it being hauled away on the German equivalent of the AA. Must have been more than an out-of-fuel problem.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bad TVR's

I've played with a number and owned a Tuscan Red Rose. Lovely cars to drive but a sack of sh1te in comparison to a Skyline. Reliability and build are a MASSIVE problem.

Purchase and enjoy at your peril!

Rupert

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The company that tuned my own car told me about a TVR Griffith that they twin turbocharged. Went quite well, apparently.

They got it up to 650 bhp but turned it back down to 550 bhp for better driveability and reliability. Must have been a nightmare in the wet.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Kinsgley

I saw the trevor Griff TT you are talking about at brighton speed trials last year....Daz GtiR will remember it.
When it went down the strip we all looked at each other like :eek: as it made a weird sound...was expecting a big grumbly V8 and got whoosh chatter whoosh instead.
Pig to drive thought even on slicks...went sideways the whole way down..IN THE DRY!!!
Solid effort tho.

NKLW

21 - 31 of 31 Posts