GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at a few websites, and apparently twincharging is becoming rather popular with certain cars. I believe I saw a car on EvolutionM.net with someone using a supercharger to spool up a very large turbo quickly (t88?).

I was wondering if this idea could be adapted to Skylines. I did a bit of research, and it was first used in the Lancia Delta series cars. Essentially, they used a very big turbo and a supercharger was connected to the drivebelt and once it hit full boost (which was almost instantly) the supercharger would disconnect and the turbo would take over.

Apparently, Nissan made a production motor, although very simple it proved a point in which this technology could be made to work. I was just thinking, this could most likely be possible in a GTS-T, but what about a GT-R? Anybody ever heard of anything like this?

It would be very nice to hear a supercharger whine then followed by wastegates and a nice PTSHSHHH heh. :p Would be nice to twin-charge a RB26DETT though.

*EDIT* http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=6700&highlight=twincharge
Found a link to this topic. Ooops :p

In other news though, anybody willing to give this a shot? If not.. If I pickup a GT-R this summer, I might do this with a friend who knows his way around turbos. I'll probably fail, but I'll try anyways. Its a very interesting concept, I'm surprised nobody as even tried or made advances here yet.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Its not always the best way to go about things, we looked into it for a MR2 Turbo running a T88 turbo on a 2.2 stroker kit. Its a quick car but obviously the lag is shocking and its not something I would recomend driving on the street.

At the end of the day we found the same effect we needed, rapid increase in revs and increased volume of air at lower revs was much more easly obtained using Nitrous. Basically a squirt of gas is used to increase the volume of air passing through the engine at lower revs, bingo bango suddenly your turbo is up to speed a couple of thousnad rpm early and the rest is history.

Its not quite as simple as that, there are other equations that factor into it such as timing issues and the way the gas is fed in over time etc ... intrestingly we aint talking about large amounts here ... 25-50bhp of gas is more than enough to do the job.

For that particular car it was by far and away the best option, no extra pipework, no drag and no hassle :)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
I still dont believe the delta S4 supercharger ever was bypassed or switched off at high rpm once the turbo was on full song, makes no sence, and dont see it working, the transition.

The bypass for them I reckon was purely for idle and light throttle, same as normal supercharger bypasses.

Ive seen twincharged engines of many kinds, its nothing new.
Used on tons of trucks etc.
Also seen them on Mini's, MR2's, Corolla's, Scooby's, Evo's, Cosworth's (and other fords), and so on.
There a few ways to go about it though, some more complicated than others, most seem to be well over complicated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm determined to make this work. I am in no rush to get anything, so as soon as I figure out what needs to be done it will get done.

:p Anybody care lend me some assistance in this project?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It was the Nissan March (Micra) in about 1988 which had the s/c and turbo, according to someone I was chatting with today.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thrust said:
It was the Nissan March (Micra) in about 1988 which had the s/c and turbo, according to someone I was chatting with today.
Indeed it was :) forgot about those, they were fun little cars :smokin:

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,028 Posts
Thrust said:

I believe there was one on the Micra Owners Club stand at JAE last year - some Burberry capped youth informed me when I was nosing around.

·
Super Moderator
15,594 Posts
Am building a twincharged MR2 atm using an original (no longer available) HKS kit - it's very very expensive and complicated, not putting you off but be prepared for a lot of work!

T

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
The HKS kit is v.complicated, overly so I think, but it works, so thats what counts.

I think most the kits are so complicated as there not much knowlege on the subject so people do it the way that would obviously work, and thats pretty complex.

I think there will be a twincharged 200SX sometime this year actually.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I always wondered what the comparisions would be like between the following to setups.

(A) Engine running with NO2 used at the bottom end & a late spooling turbo setup.

(B) Engine running Seqentials turbos or Bi-turbos

(C) Engine couple with a Supercharger & late spooling turbo charger.

Like to see arguments - For & Against for each of these setups in peoples opinions

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Nitrous is a good way to spool up turbos sooner and give power before the turbos.
But its full throttle only, so not particularly driveable if its just midrange torque you want.

Sequential turbos work well when done right, but are hugely complicated (though so are many twin charged setups).

Bi (twin) turbos are barely any different to a single turbo in terms the way it drives, if the spec is the same.

Twincharging gives you instant boost pressure and good drivability.
Main thing is most setups are hugely (overly) complicated as theres not enough knowlege and testing into it.
Mounting the supercharger somewhere where the belt is in the right place can be a pain.
Other stuff like blower sizing and rpm is pretty simple if you know what you doing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
GavGTR said:
I always wondered what the comparisions would be like between the following to setups.
Like to see arguments - For & Against for each of these setups in peoples opinions
(A) Engine running with NO2 used at the bottom end & a late spooling turbo setup.
Effective, simple and easy but gas is finite (ie you can run out) the WOT problem is not an issue anymore as you can use the TPS to trigger on and off but untill I can map gas vs tps/rpm its aint going to ever be great on a road car.

(B) Engine running Seqentials turbos or Bi-turbos
Sequentials such as Toyotas system is good as is the FD3 RX7 apart from the change point, Bi-turbos ..... no, not convinced, perhaps 10 years ago when turbos wernt that great but not these days.

(C) Engine couple with a Supercharger & late spooling turbo charger.
Yup, its great in theory but in reality does have a load of problems, drag, pipework, location as well as effective CR ratios for both the SC and Turbo application, ohh and cooling .... which you get for free with the nitrous :p but lets face it, it looks damn cool but frankly ... its a lot of work for a bit more low down power. Perhaps a better choice of turbo or cams in the first place might be the best answer.

New one for you

(D) Wait till variable vane tech becomes more common place on turbos ;)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
VNT turbos have been used for years.

In 89-90 VNT T3's were used on various sporty 4cyl turbo cars in the USA, so the new Porker isnt the first production petrol car to use them, despite all the hype.

Didnt work that well tho.

And when fitted in aftermarket applications its not been hugely sucsessful, incredibly hard to get working correctly to an extent thats much better than non VNT setups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts