GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
Since owning my GTR the one thing that gets to me is that its noticeably wallowy when either cornering at high speed or even at very high speed in a straight line. I've been told that its very likely the tyres causing this as they have far softer walls than the run flats, hence are prone to causing the car to feel a tad unstable.. I run MPSS all round which were on the car when I bought it and stock suspension, however have got 15mm & 20mm spacers, however the car was exactly the same prior to fitting these. Is it likely its just the tyres causing this?

Has anyone else experienced this? I am considering the KW sleeve kit and Whiteline front/rear and sway bar kit but want to get the views of others first.

Any help or advice appreciated

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi mate. are you running OEM alloys or have they been changed? when was the last time you had the wheels aligned? Mine had a similiar issue but it wasn't unstable at high speeds. Once all 4 wheels where aligned courtsey of Sly, car works a treat

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
What pressures are you running MPSS at? I found sweet spot about 33 psi all round cold. 29 as per run flats was not great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate. are you running OEM alloys or have they been changed? when was the last time you had the wheels aligned? Mine had a similiar issue but it wasn't unstable at high speeds. Once all 4 wheels where aligned courtsey of Sly, car works a treat
Hey dude
Yeah standard alloys and had a laser alignment a few weeks ago at Fields Tyres in Hove as used them in the past. Ironically Sly had done this previously, however when Fields checked it, it was all over the place. I think I'm gonna check my tyre pressures and up them a little as got them at 27 all round

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What pressures are you running MPSS at? I found sweet spot about 33 psi all round cold. 29 as per run flats was not great.
Hey Rog
I just posted that I was gonna look at my tyre pressures and then read ya post. I got mine at 27 psi as had lowered them to 24 the other week when at the pod, however originally had them on 29....I'll give it a go at 33 psi and report back in a bit

Thanks for the tip mate:bowdown1:

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hey Rog
I just posted that I was gonna look at my tyre pressures and then read ya post. I got mine at 27 psi as had lowered them to 24 the other week when at the pod, however originally had them on 29....I'll give it a go at 33 psi and report back in a bit

Cheers
Louie
loll, thats probably why it feels so wallowy.. Ive got same set up as you on Mpss and running at 34(cold)-36(warm) and 38(hot/on track)

I cant imagine running it so low at 24 or even 29!!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
You definitely need more pressure in the tyres.
At 29psi my R35 was horribly wobbly.
Much better at 33psi cold.

The ride goes to pot with lower pressures.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I tried 29psi on my 'square' set-up and while it was a little more comfortable (more squishy sidewalls), I have ultimately settled on 33psi cold like most others here seem to have :thumbsup:

Cheapest option to try first (free air :))

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I tried 29psi on my 'square' set-up and while it was a little more comfortable (more squishy sidewalls), I have ultimately settled on 33psi cold like most others here seem to have :thumbsup:

I have mpss 34 psi cold, and for daily driving I've found them great, however on track/runways at 150mph+ they are a bit spongy for me... Bit you can't have everything I suppose.

For daily drive grip any weather, I dont think they can be beat? If they can I'd like to try the successors..

·
Registered
232 Posts
34 psi vs 29 psi cold makes a suprising amount of difference..just started running my 35 section mpss`s at this pressure and they`re excellent..have fitted the Litchfield suspension as well and there`s a significant improvement over stock.

Look forward to hearing how you find the higher pressures Louie:)

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Hey Rog

Cheers
Louie
Pleasure...should make all the difference as stated below.

·
R35 Section manager
11,256 Posts
It probably is the tyre pressure and if not maybe the tyre choice.Not forgetting these cars are stupidly quick and its very easy to over do it on the loud peddle and get some back end movement from both driver and car:chuckle:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Your joking right? Have you ever seen a garage in Wales with free air or anything else for that matter!:chuckle:

Joking aside I run 30-31 psi stone cold and relates to 33-34 hot with MPSS.

I think when you first change over from OEM to MPSS the car does feel odd and I really really didn't like it.

However, having done 3000 miles on the Petrolhead Alpine assault this year I have to say I am a huge fan. I drove the car harder in the rain and sleet/snow going up the Stelvio than I have ever done in the dry previously and not once did the car / tyres give me a moment.

I think now looking back that there is just an accliamataztion period required to get fully used to the way it feels.

Satan.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I agree with the posts above about the 31 - 33psi cold pressures, but one thing you must do is not put the suspension into race as then more of the suspension is going through the tyres and the wallowing is then exacerbated. Try the normal or even comfort modes and you will find quite a difference.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Your joking right? Have you ever seen a garage in Wales with free air or anything else for that matter!:chuckle:
Don't Sainsbuy's or Tesco have free air in Wales? That's devolution for you! Just think how much air will cost in Scotland if they get their independence ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
How long have you had the car though you say in our post it's always been like that? Nissan strong recommend not using non runflats because of the soft sidewalls I don't think they're saying it for fun. The cars handling was developed around run flat tyres. I'd definitely try changing the tyres.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
This thread should be in Brakes, wheels, tyres and suspension section of the R35 GT-R forum.
In that forum there must be over 500 posts regarding this subject and to simply say that Nissan R35 should only be run on run flat tyres is entirely wrong. Please check all the information that has been gathered around the world before making such a statement. Should your conclusion be that the car should only be run on Bridgestone's or Dunlop's then please quote from that section to support your argument.

·
R35 Section manager
11,256 Posts
I don't think the 35 needs to be run on just run flat tyres but the Nissan race team tried both types of tyre and the run flats performed better in their opinion.

I would be interested to see if Nissan continued the use of run flats given so may people are changing over to Mpss? Although I suspect most owners still use run flats?

·
Registered
398 Posts
My car is also Twitchy after 100, I took it from the dealer each tyre was on around 35 psi. Car is running run flats, I read somewhere on the forum to lower it to 29 psi at cold. Am completely confused on what pressure to have it on now, are all 4 the same psi? What have you guys found to be the best psi rating from stone cold. Am going to get it aligned to. Please advised on correct PSI range for street use from cold

1 - 20 of 26 Posts