GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was there getting some photos done for Evo and saw a Gun Metal and Black GT-R doing a track day.

Very disappointed I didn't see any VDC OFF sideways action coming out of the hairpin, but they sounded great on the downshifts.

Y-pipes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know that Black GTR didn't have Y pipes. I was at the day in the morning and went for a ride with him no VDC off but still got a bit sideways in the wet a truly amazing car, mine is due for April '10 delivery (was in the blue M3 CS) CAN'T WAIT!!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Could ghave been 3 !!! I nearly went, but couldn't get the time off work

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it a sat nav car? They sound better than the earlier ones.

There was a very loud R34 GT-R there, amazed it made it past the noise Nazis at the local council!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes it had Sat Nav does that mean it was a GTR III? I am a little confused on when those should start arriving.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Black was mine!!!! Best day ever!

I have to admit that I did not really know what I owned until yesterday. Only at a place like Bedford (where you feel safe because of the nice solid run off area) can you let go with confidence. The traction control is amazing - it makes an idiot like me appear a good driver.

AL0481 - it was a pleasure to give you a ride although we nearly came unstuck once!

I managed to hit 155 on the straight in the afternoon with Jannik (one of the instructors) with me and we nearly missed the chicane!

The photo team were great (81 pics for £30).

Everybody who owns a GTR should take them on a track.

Personal feelings:
I felt like I was in a 1990 racing computer game where all the driver aids are turned on and all the other cars are half the power. If you use the brake button the car will slow down enough for the corner. If your steer right the car will stay on the racing line. TRULLY INCREDIBLE MOTOR!!!! It was a delight to see another GTR there in the afternoon - there was an older model GTR there but it didn't appear very quick (or maybe I underestimated my own GTR until yesterday!!!) Unfortunately I did not catch the name of the other R35 owner but a real enthusiast and he taught me a lot about the car. His was a june non nav and said that mine (which is a nav but no y-pipe sounded awesome on the start straight (the concrete run off there is brilliant for power slides - I found that out in tha afternoon when I turned on R mode.

Damage:
Best £119 every spent.
2 tanks of fuel (my first half tank went in 20 mins)
moderate wear on the tyres - I expected much worse.

Real problem - I can't wait to get back on the track and maybe an access-port would be a good investment (or Chrimbo present for the motor).

Thank you to anyone who was at Bedford yesterday - ClubMSV did a great job and thanks to all the other drivers for permanently having to let past the annoying black nat that kept on appearing behing them!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yes yes yes !!!! Now you see what I and other have been raving about all these yrears !! A GTR (and or Skyline) is built for the Track !!!

How about a club event at Bedford ???

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 100% in if someone can organise it! it would be nice to have other cars of a similar power. Although it is fun to zoom past porsches, jags, bmws, VWs, lotuss and caterhams - it is not exactly sporting or challenging...

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
I'm 100% in if someone can organise it! it would be nice to have other cars of a similar power. Although it is fun to zoom past porsches, jags, bmws, VWs, lotuss and caterhams - it is not exactly sporting or challenging...
+ Audi R8 V8's and V10, Ferarri 430 scuderia, Astom Martin (all sorts) Ultima GTR's, Loyus Exige and even kept an Atom at bay !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
PS - If I had run the car a little hot (oil temps etc) would a warning come up?
Don't think so that's why you have a oil temp gauge !!!! or you could RTFM

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would be game for that post April!

I don't mind helping to organise but have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Maybe some of our fellow GTR owners could point us in the right direction....

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
We do have a Southern event rep, Mo ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Jo! Colin's training was definitely useful!

To be honest - having had such a hoot on the Milbrook handling circuit I would love to do that again and again and again - this time in a GTR...

Please tell Colin that I came 8th on my race academy day but all the ones above me did regular track days...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I would be game for that post April!

I don't mind helping to organise but have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Maybe some of our fellow GTR owners could point us in the right direction....
We have already worked with Motorsport Vision on the GTROC Palmersport event during the summer.

I like the sound of Bedford for a track event, maybe with a Millbrook based bolt-on e.g. handling and alpine routes.

Our recent R35 track event at Anglesey also went really well, so it would be good to get even more cars out on track.

Ed

·
Registered
377 Posts
Which circuit did you use.

If i can convince myself to do my 1st trackday next year i might choose this one i believe its good for 1st timers

·
Registered
18 Posts
... and the Gun Metal R-35 was me.
Very good day especially on a wet tarmac to better understand dynamics with VDC-R and VDC-OFF.
David, shame we couldn't meet. On the last hour before closure time I've finally managed to get confident sideways at every corner and kept it on the slide without the VDC-R to kick in abruptly (I believe it stops yaw when it reaches about 35 degrees?).
VDC OFF is quite interesting. I was expecting dodgy feelings when the second drive shaft starts to deliver torque to the front wheels but the transition is very smooth and goes unnoticed. On the wet it really demands surgical precision on the accelerator out of the corners and if left in VDC-R, as many of you have said, it allows plenty of fun provided you stay within these 35 degrees of slide which i think is enough if you are travelling fast in 3rd or 4th gear :D If you go past this yaw angle the VDC kicks in quite abruptly and maybe it could spoil the fun a bit on track but definitely it will save you on a normal road.

Hambrosky, it was really nice to meet you, shame we didn't manage to battle a bit ;)
The R34 was belonging to PaulR34, an amazing guy with an amazingly 650hp tuned car.

I felt sorry for the guy with BMW M6 who couldn't cope with us on the long straights. :squintdan

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts