GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
As you all know i had an absolute nightmare with my R35 GTR in the wet, ended up in tears with a new front end!!! Left me thinking about tyres!!
Done alot of research and found that people are using MPSS (Michelin Pilot Super Sports??) i assume thats what it means??
My questions:
1- i was under the impression nissan had alot of trouble developing a tyre that could with stand the power and that certain tyres where being ripped from the rims??? If this is true then surely we can't differ from the originals??
2- IF NOT, then can i run the 285 fronts and 305 rears or do people recommend otherwise???

Finally all other advice would be greatly appreciated!!1

Thanks Lee:bowdown1::wavey:

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Most people run the 275/305 combo I believe.

Never heard of one coming off the rim on track.
I pushed mine hard at Silverstone and there was plenty of sidewall flex, but they stayed on.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yep I run the above combo quoted by CT. They are an awesome all weather road tyre. Just done 1055 miles in 4 days across the twistie welsh countryside. They were nothing less than epic. Let's just say that there was some very progressive driving and I did not experience any understeer or bad manners. Even in the really tight twistie stuff in the mountains.

Luv em!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Again my question, how are MPSS in OEM tyre size?
Acceptable?

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Im not sure what all the fuss is about the MPSS. I didnt like them at all. The new Dunlops on the MY14 are agreeable, but cant beat them R888s in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Definitley the superior choice over my original dunlops and bridgies for wet use they perform realy quite well in the wet...and if you want quieter/no tramlining/more compliant road feel (albeit a bit bouncy on track).

·
R35 Section manager
10,976 Posts
Do Toyo make a tyre that fits?
Sure I read that somewhere, if so I would consider those as they were great on my 33

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the fab advice guys! think im goiing to get a set of MPSS's! What tyre pressure are people running???

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
MPSS will give you a softer more bouncy ride, especially at high speed where they can feel a bit floaty. I much prefer the runflats, and they're only a few quid more expensive these days, they used to be twice the price but not any more.

You will also lose a little steering precision with MPSS. Michelins do last nearly twice as long for a reason, they're a hard compound i.e. less grip, and despite all the raving about them on here I personally never found them any better in the wet.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
thanks for all the fab advice guys! think im goiing to get a set of MPSS's! What tyre pressure are people running???
34psi @ 17 degrees

MPSS will give you a softer more bouncy ride, especially at high speed where they can feel a bit floaty. I much prefer the runflats, and they're only a few quid more expensive these days, they used to be twice the price but not any more.

You will also lose a little steering precision with MPSS. Michelins do last nearly twice as long for a reason, they're a hard compound i.e. less grip, and despite all the raving about them on here I personally never found them any better in the wet.
Mine feel fine at 70, what speed do yours become floaty at?

I find the best ride for my taste to be mpss with suspension in r.

The rock hard run flats were designed to get a ring time, not something that I'm after.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I think the whole tyre thing is very subjective at the end of the day. Obviously makes a difference if you are going for lap times lol.

Can't say I've found that floating sensation spoken about above. Done 12 runs of 180 plus last year on the runway and they were sturdy as a rock. Smashed them over a 1000 mile hoon recently and again no bouncy feeling.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yes it's totally subjective, I love a hard ride, to me it defeats the point of the car if you fit squidgy normal tyres.

I found the floaty feeling at around 130+ when cornering.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts