GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got 4 Bridgestone SO2's on me car, and the fronts are, well..., almost slicks. So, I've been shopping about and looking at what other people use and I'm pretty keen to get 2 new front tyres, either Falken FK451's or Toyo Proxes T1-S's. Both come in at about the £120 mark inc vat, valve and balancing (Tweekies).

Not being that clued up on tyres, what would you recommend I use? Toyos or Proxes? Or should I really fork out the extra dosh for more SO2's or SO3's? Is it ok to run different makes on the front and rear of the car, eg Toyos on front, so2's on back.

Any help would be much appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx

Cheers slippyr4, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Toyo's then. I know a mate who's had them for a while, all be it on a Vectra SRI, but he's said they're great too.

Anyone reckon I should go for the set of 4, or will I be ok with Toyo's up front and exisiting SO2's at the back.

Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Legal Tread Levels

Anyone know what the legal tread limit is, I don't really know, I just know that during my last service I was told the fronts are almost at the legal limit. I guess the backs are not far behind, but I'll probably need to check.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And Finally...

Now that I'm pretty set on either 2 or 4 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, is £120 inc vat, valve and balancing a reasonable price for them?

Ta!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your help and sound advice, just been for a look at the tyres, a new set of 4 Toyos it is then!

Paul

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Paul,

Whan I got my car just over a year ago it had mismatched tyres on it.

I didn't know any better now I have a set of budgets on my car but they are the same all round... wicked difference.

the torque split meter used to go apeshit whenever I drove the car hard now it seems to be a lot more stable.

incidently these budget tyres have almost identical compound and properties to the SO3 according to the printing on the side wall. they cost me £75 each.

a bit different to 180 odd each...

/Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

Are you running on Toyo's, if so, where did you find them for £75 a piece! I assume you've got 245/45/ZR17's

Paul

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
the tyres I am running are called Ventus something or other. they are budgets produced by hancook ? they seem fairly grippy and like I said before having four tyres the same all round lets the hicass come up with some correct decisions rather than snaking about all over the place and the torque splitter picking up on wheelspin when there was none etc...

they have the familiar v groove pattern that seems quite trendy at the moment and they have one groove down the middle for water dispersal.

I have a mate in the trade so I get his parts man to get things for me.

/Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts