GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to buy some new tyres,and as usual i don't know what to get,i currently have too proves t1r but would like to try something different,or something better but which one as their are so many to choose from,my car is currently 600bhp just under 500ft lb of torque, most of my driving is done in the dry,but i also want something thats not going to be a death trap if i get caught in the rain,as i wouldn't say I'm the most skillfull driver.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

simon

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
aren't the ones suggested mainly track tyres part from the cup 2,I'm looking for road tyres that offer good performance,I'm not really worried about price,are the cup 2 the only contenders.

simon

·
Registered
69 Posts
They will be no better than the toyo t1rs not a fan myself personal choice they just don't have the grip and feedback that the tyres I mentioned have.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
I would stick with the Toyos mate as I've tried most of the others before but always went back to the Toyos as found them the best

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
am i right in thinking the t1r are no longer available,and are the toyo sport the replacement,as i want a road tyre not a track tyre or an in between tyre,as my car will not be going on any track.i know the semi track tyres offer a stiffer side wall which is good, but most of them are lousy in the wet,or require skill i don't have to control them,or problems with aquaplaning.so its strictly a road tyre for me.

simon

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
i have been looking at goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3 tyres can anyone shed any light.

simon
They are good tyres. Nice allrounder and wear well. I got a fair amount of tram-lining which made them pretty lively. This was on a 265/35R18 tyre.

I have RSRs on now. They aren't as good as the Goodyears in the wet but they aren't bad. Only thing which is a real problem is deep standing water. Excellent in the dry.

NB the above is road only.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Another vote for Toyo's
I run T1R's on my black car on my 18's, R888's on my red car on 17's
As a caveat, I also use Bridgestone's on my red car aswell

I've also used Falkens in the past and I think they are a great tyre, I also personally don't mind Kumho's
Federals are (in my opinion) a good hard wearing tyre and can take some abuse, but some don't like the extra road noise that seems to eminate from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run Vredestein Ultrac Vorti. For the price of the tyre I really like them, although i think they may have gone up in price since i bought mine last year.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
595 are harsh, poor quality often with cracks across the tyres, while they may grip ok in the dry their grip levels soon tail off with heat cycles quicker than the quality brands. Buy some decent tyres like Advan Neova AD08R, Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin MPSS etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
595 are harsh, poor quality often with cracks across the tyres, while they may grip ok in the dry their grip levels soon tail off with heat cycles quicker than the quality brands. Buy some decent tyres like Advan Neova AD08R, Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin MPSS etc.

Had the Federal SS-595's on my car when it arrived. Thought I was going to die going round every corner in the wet. My friend has a 370Z and he was going round corners in the wet a LOT faster than I was, with no back end stepping out etc which is less than what can be said for my 33.

Replaced them with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's and I'm planning on going to Pilot Cup Sports next - just for a change!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
Had the Federal SS-595's on my car when it arrived. Thought I was going to die going round every corner in the wet. My friend has a 370Z and he was going round corners in the wet a LOT faster than I was, with no back end stepping out etc which is less than what can be said for my 33.

Replaced them with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's and I'm planning on going to Pilot Cup Sports next - just for a change!
General consensus seems to be that the 'normal' 595s are rubbish and the RSRs are the only ones worth having.

Federal Tyres - UHP - 595RS-R
Federal Tyres - UHP - 595

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
Had the Goodyear F1s on my car when I first got it and they do wear slower than the Toyos but they do not grip as well in my opinion. I tried a few tyres out but always ended up going back to the Toyos and even changed some of them early as I didn't rate them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've not tried a lot of Tyres TREG, but I've found the F1's to be the best "compromise" between Wet/Dry Grip, Wear and Price so far. I'm in a bit better paid job now however so I'm willing to give something that Grips better, but wears faster/is more expensive a go for the next set.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
I've not tried a lot of Tyres TREG, but I've found the F1's to be the best "compromise" between Wet/Dry Grip, Wear and Price so far. I'm in a bit better paid job now however so I'm willing to give something that Grips better, but wears faster/is more expensive a go for the next set.
F1's will wear slower for sure but I always found the Toyos much better in the wet and even on a dry day the grip was excellent. I used my car for the road so not sure how they would be on the track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts