GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys thinking about buying a new set of "shoes" for the r32
Currently on 245/45 r17 Pirelli p7's (99y)XL
To be honest they are too bad and have lasted pretty well also.

These tyres are XL(EXTRA LOAD) my question is do we need XL on these cars as I would not mind trying a set of Pirelli pzero rosso asimmetreco's but they are not XL and are only 95y. Will this make a massive difference?

Also if anyone has tried any other tyres in that size on their r32 gtr/r33 that have been decent I would really appreciate hearing about them also.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone ever tried Kuhmo KU39 99Y XL
they look very cheap but they are 99y XL.
Never tried Kuhmo so maybe its best to stick with the premiums brands??

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
What do you use your car for?? Just road or track too?

You can get some very good prices on Michelin pilot sport 3's in 245/40/17's (less than 500 for a set last time I looked) excellent tyre!

I have kuhmos ku 36 xs on my 32 - good tyre for the money and will consistently make 1.1g on track but quality is nothing like premium brands. They need a lot if balancing and all have developed cracks.

I run Michelin's on my everyday car that have done some track days and they are so much better in this respect..

Not really sure about the XL rating.. It's never been something I've looked for when tyre shopping..

·
Registered
68 Posts
The XL rating just means a stiffer sidewall, as such shown by the 99 vs your current ones of 95. Stiffer sidewalls will offer a firmer ride and reduce a bit of lateral body roll.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car is just used for fast road.
The current tyres are 99y so stiffer sidewalls.
The fact that you said the kuhmo's have cracked I think I will just stick with the Pirellis.

Hankook EVO ventus have done well in recent tests and are now being offered by Mercedes/bmw as OE equipment so was also considering these, they too are 99y XL.
Thoughts on these please?
Tyre Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 245/45 ZR17 99Y XL - Tyre Leader

Failing this I will just go for the Pirellis that are already on there again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I run Kuhmos myself and have never had a problem with them for few years now.

Hankook are another decent lower cost tire too. I have driven cars before with Hankooks and thought they held up well to abuse.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Car is just used for fast road.
The current tyres are 99y so stiffer sidewalls.
The fact that you said the kuhmo's have cracked I think I will just stick with the Pirellis.

Hankook EVO ventus have done well in recent tests and are now being offered by Mercedes/bmw as OE equipment so was also considering these, they too are 99y XL.
Thoughts on these please?
Tyre Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 245/45 ZR17 99Y XL - Tyre Leader

Failing this I will just go for the Pirellis that are already on there again.
I have those on my Skoda. Work nicely in dry and wet weather. The car hardly works the tyres much so I cannot comment about absolute performance.

Currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 which I would recommend. They do catch cambers quite a bit but otherwise work nicely. Good grip and reasonable in the wet.

With better tyres on an R32 you do start to notice the short comings of the OEM brakes...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you running the KU39 kuhmo's dirtytorquer? or another type of kuhmo?
Thanks for you feedback.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cris thanks for the post I may well try the hankooks.
Regarding brakes my r32 is a v spec so it has factory brembo's although I am not saying they are the final word in decent brakes for a r32 but slightly better than standard.

I don't really like the eagle F1's I find they follow camber an awful lot in my experience, I have had them on 3 cars.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Cris thanks for the post I may well try the hankooks.
Regarding brakes my r32 is a v spec so it has factory brembo's although I am not saying they are the final word in decent brakes for a r32 but slightly better than standard.

I don't really like the eagle F1's I find they follow camber an awful lot in my experience, I have had them on 3 cars.

Thanks again for your help.
To be fair I'm looking to change my wheels anytime time soon and I fancy looking at other options. The F1s are also bad with whie lines, catseyes etc.

I'm even thinking of going with the Federal RSR tyres. Or maybe the Michelins but I'm not sure I'll find them in the size I want.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried the Michelin ps3's on my v6 clio and they are good but I think the hankooks with the XL 99y sidewall will get a try as the nature of the r32 especially mine in near standard form is quite rolly by nature and anything that can eliminate some of the rolly feel is a good thing IMO

Thanks cris

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I run federal rsr's on my 33 Gtr. Very happy with them. I was very surprised how good they are in the wet. I will be buying another set when these are done I think.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Going for MPSS they are around 600 for a set on the continent.
Do they do them in 17's now? They probably won't give as much initial grip on track as your federals but will be much nicer on the road and in wet.. My experience anyway.. If they came in 17's and could be had for 600 I'd get a set :)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Not sure but I am due a trip to France soon so will pick mine up can see if they have any 17s. £v***8364; is good at the moment :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts