GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps could you please tell me what you recommend the road going tyre pressures should be for Front and rears on a GTR 33 with stock 17 inch wheels please.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
under pressure

Hi Ian,

Look in your drivers door " b" post you should find a little plaque which says the pressures in Bar, 14.7 psi= 1 bar.

If I remember rightly it worked out to about 34 psi in all of the tyres...

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve so theres is no difference front to rear?

I'm new to the Skyline,

So understanding that its rear wheel drive until the fronts are activated and that the car carries most weight on the front wheels. So may be that does makes sense against the Subaru with AWD and most weight on the fronts thus 2/4 psi up on fronts.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
not sure

I am new to skylines too !!
I got mine about 4 months ago.Until then the most powerful car I'd ever had was a 170 bhp Primera GT, So I'm learning lots at the mo...
I am not sure aboput the rules of these pressures but with the tyres all the same size and as the car is fairly well balanced and as the drive flicks in and out as you lose/gain traction I suppose this would explain why the equal pressure.

have a look on your B post ( the plate is about a foot up from the sill facing the front of the car, there are pressures mentioned for something else as well but I am not sure what it was.
And I don't have my car here at work.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I 'm used to the terms of PSI,all this bar stuff is a little complicated but if 14.7 psi = 1 bar.. its about 31/32 psi all round which seems a little low!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm pretty sure I put 34 psi into each tyre on Saturday. this would make the pressure 2.3 bar which definately rings a bell.

the tyres are on 17's on the R33 so if I remember rightly you put more pressure in the smaller the tyre, hence bike tyres with 40psi etc..

You wont go far wrong with either setting, and if this pressure is for the track day you'd be better off erring on the low side as when the tyres get hot the air will expand raising the pressure anyway.

/hth
Steve

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
tyre pressures

Just to give you an idea, I tried my R32 (running on 16's) on 34 psi which made it feel wobbly on the lanes so I put in 31psi and it was lots better. Try it and see is the answer (and was what I wa told).
Dave

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Px

Hi Ian
I run my 33 with 32psi all round, this is with 18" rims.
On the track i would suggest you lowered the pressure 1 or 2 pounds as mentioned in a previous post due to higher running temps.
It all depends on how you drive on the track day.
(Bring a footpump) ;)
Stick to 32psi on the road it works for me:cool:
Best regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to Middlehurst, 28 to 32 PSI for Road Use. I've experimented with this quite a bit, and prefer mine at 31.5/32 all round for general mixed road use.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Under pressure...

Having watched rubber disappear at an alarming rate on previous track days, particularly and obviously from the shoulders of my SO2's, on Saturday, I tried them at 35 fronts and 36 rears cold. Whilst I didn't check them hot, from previous days, this should have translated to around 40 ish hot. Wear seemed much better from the shoulders and more even across the tyres although I guess had it been wet, 40 would have been too much.

Normal advice is to lower pressures for track days for 'normal' cars but as the GT-R is such a fat lardy beast, upping pressures seems to be the way to go if you want to be able to drive home on a legal set of rubber.

I've never tried this but I did read somewhere about running a chalk line across your tyres before going out and then seeing what part of the tyres scrub this off and adjusting the pressures accordingly...?

Peter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts