GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yellow warning light for low tyre pressures alert again. I know what the problem is but cant seem to fix it. Amy suggestions?

It first appeared this spring when the car had been in the garage for the winter so it had been sat for 8 weeks or so not driven. Front drivers side tyre pressure down to 16 psi. Took it to Kwik Fit because we thought it was slow puncture. It wasn't but corrosion around the inside of the rim causing a less than perfect surface to bond with tyre and thus letting air escape.

Guys took the tyre off, wire brushed it all down treated the corrosion, liberal application of soap and back on. Sorted.

Then a few weeks back the exact same problem on the rear drivers side. Same problem off to Kwik Fit diagnosed and fixed the same way. Wire brush etc.

Its happened again.

The wheels have recently been refurbed by a guy in York and look brilliant. Will new tyres fix this problem or am I going to have to fork out on new wheels? Cars a 59 plate.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Might be corrosion around the valve stem. Have you tried brushing round with soapy water to see where the leak is?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Tyres running down can also be a sign of wheel damage. The OEM wheels do not seem to cope well with the rough and tumble of driving in London in my experience.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Definitely spray some soapy water around the valves as mentioned above. It's suggested that the valves are serviced every time the tyres are changed - you can get a kit for this.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yellow warning light for low tyre pressures alert again. I know what the problem is but cant seem to fix it. Amy suggestions?

It first appeared this spring when the car had been in the garage for the winter so it had been sat for 8 weeks or so not driven. Front drivers side tyre pressure down to 16 psi. Took it to Kwik Fit because we thought it was slow puncture. It wasn't but corrosion around the inside of the rim causing a less than perfect surface to bond with tyre and thus letting air escape.

Guys took the tyre off, wire brushed it all down treated the corrosion, liberal application of soap and back on. Sorted.

Then a few weeks back the exact same problem on the rear drivers side. Same problem off to Kwik Fit diagnosed and fixed the same way. Wire brush etc.

Its happened again.

The wheels have recently been refurbed by a guy in York and look brilliant. Will new tyres fix this problem or am I going to have to fork out on new wheels? Cars a 59 plate.
Had the same issue myeslf even with 4 new TPMS Valves fitted.

Checked with soapy water spray and all were leaking slightly.

With the wheels and tyres still on the car, loosened the valves, once the air was out, and held the end of the valve with pliers. Put a small amount of silicone sealer (bathroom or other) around the valve seat, inside the wheel, and reassembled the valve. (Don't drop the valve inside or it's a wheel and tyre off job:flame:)

12 months on still perfect :thumbsup:

Hope that helps

Satan

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I suspect I have a similar problem, I had 4 new tyres fitted 4 weeks ago, drove the car home and with all the rain its been sat in the garage on a ctek since. We had a bit of sun yesterday so I started her up and went for a spin, 1mile down the road the TP warning light came on.... I had a look at the tyre pressures and 3 were down to 20ish Psi..

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Really ? doesn't say anything about that in the book
Yes, really. The valve manufacturer recommends use of the service kit at every tyre change. Given that conventional valves are changed as a matter of course during tyre replacement, it sounds quite sensible to me and a very worthwhile preventative measure given the number of people that seem to suffer from defective valves - me included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts