GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 6k service (5500 miles) and recieved a call from HPC saying i needed 4 new tyres £2500 inc vat and £700 for new front pads as they wear cracked. The tyres still have a lot of life but all 4 have scrubbed the inner edges on the radius around the first 20mm and because of where this is you don't notice until on a ramp. I was shocked and asked was this not a set up issue as i would class this as uneven wear, one of the replies was "it must be the camber of the road" . I do drive the car in a spirited manor but within the cars limits and i have never tracked the car but if the above is correct then the cost of the maintenance is a problem to me. The brake pads must be of a poor quality and like the tyres they are consumable so i have no comeback according to my HPC so advice/thoughts on the above and an alternative set of brake pads would be gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Uneven/inner edge wear has been noted by other posters.

Quite at odds with what Mizuno said about the car being configured so that a maximum amount of the tyre was in contact with the ground.

I have driven modestly on he road, have done CATDT at Millbrook and a very wet trackday; post track day inspection said I had wear on my inner edges. I've done 6,000 miles.

Interestingly my 6 month service, just before the trackday, reported no tyre concerns.Hmmm.

My brakes have been fine so far.

It's up to you if you think the car is performing appropriately; I believe videos of Mizuno's remarks are widely available..................................

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
My right rear had similar wear to yours at the 6000 mile service, and my HPC advised all 4 needed changing even though the fronts were not worn at all on the inner edge and had about 3mm tread depth left.

I put this partly down to the CAT driver training day due to sustained high speed around the bowl, but I think also the fact that my tyre pressures were a little low (about 180 Kpa cold) did not help.

I managed to get the rears to 8,000 miles but the inner edge was right through to the canvas. I had a full set of Bridgestones fitted for £1220 inc vat and nitrogen.

I have had no problems with the pads / discs at all.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The inner edge wear is caused by having either too much camber or not driving fast enough for the camber it has. Since the GTR has quite low camber, those people who are experiencing inner wear are obviously driving only road use with little hard cornering. If you drive hard or on track the car leans over and wears evenly, or in fact more on the outside, as it has inadequate camber for track.

If you drive solely on the road and suffer from this ask your HPC to reduce the camber on the wheels. This will extend the tyre life.

The tyres can be had for £1100 per set for GTR specific Bridgestones and £1600 per set for Dunlops. Search this forum it was posted here.

Other brake pads are much cheaper as well. EBC pads were posted on here as about £350 per set for all four wheels for example.

The Search function is your friend :)

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The inner edge wear is caused by having either too much camber or not driving fast enough for the camber it has
I know my camber was set up correctly at the optimisation so 165 mph round the Millbrook bowl for about 4 laps was obviously too slow. Next time I will try for 190 and expect no wear at all...:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guy i understand what you are saying regarding camber but at optimisation they set up for road use and to be honest i probably drive my cars a lot harder than most especially round corners and this is why i was suprised at where the tyres have worn. The brakes i can understand and i will look on the forum for some harder wearing ones and when i get another set of tyres i will ask them to adjust the set up to suit the car and my driving based on my first set.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the alignment is correct and the inside edges of the tyres are wearing then Guys is right, the car has too much nagative camber. I can't think of any other reason that would cause it.

If you drive around with suspension in R mode a lot then this could cause it, because R makes a stiff car even stiffer, and you just can't drive hard enough on the road to put enough lean on the loaded tyres and utilise the camber. A softer setting will allow the car to roll a little more.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
they come out the factory in race setting

mine are worn on the inside front + outside edge but not as much

realigned for road use now

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point there Frosty, i wonder how many GTR owners do run mostly in R mode on the road?
It would be interesting to see what sort of mileage everyone gets out of a set of tyres before they have to be replaced.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good point there Frosty, i wonder how many GTR owners do run mostly in R mode on the road?
It would be interesting to see what sort of mileage everyone gets out of a set of tyres before they have to be replaced.
Thanks for the replies.
I am still running mine in, so I haven't used R yet, but I find the standard suspension setting makes the car handle just great. The car feels very direct, and rolls in a very controlled mannor, which doesn't distract the feedback much at all.

Obviously most people think that stiffer = better and therefore the car handles the best in R mode, but I think in most cases you'll drive the car better in the normal setting. This is for road use of course.

I'll review this further once I have finished running in and felt it for myself, but I expect R mode will be too stiff for all but your smoothest A road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pads, I'd buy from anyone except Nissan, in fact I'd buy anything except Nissan where I can as they are such a rip off.
Endless pads are excellent IMO. EBC yellow are a cheap option but not that great in comparison.
Discs skim nicely, if you can find someone with a big enough lathe, and my cracks are no more :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they come out the factory in race setting

mine are worn on the inside front + outside edge but not as much

realigned for road use now
I took her for a spin tonight and put in comfort mode, warmed her up for a couple of miles then drove it hard for a short time around my local bends. Got out and checked tyres. Only the inside 30mm was warm the rest of the tyre was cold. I'm no expert but doesn't this suggest that my road setting is out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the same with my tires at the 6k service!!! I did not change them!!
I am now booked in for my 12k Service on the 22nd Dec and I am taking £1100 worth of New Rubber for them to fit!!
I have had the best 6K of my life less traction = more fun!!
I am just gutted that PC plod may not agree if I carry on running this set as they are not far off illegal!!
I have participated in a few track days and 3 Ring trips!! I don't hang around!!
Do Not Listen to Nissan I run an MOT station and my tester would still not fail my tires!!
As for Brakes change to AP Disks and try different pads that will match your driving ie if you are a nutter try Pagid Yellows if not may be EBC!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same with my tires at the 6k service!!! I did not change them!!
I am now booked in for my 12k Service on the 22nd Dec and I am taking £1100 worth of New Rubber for them to fit!!
I have had the best 6K of my life less traction = more fun!!
I am just gutted that PC plod may not agree if I carry on running this set as they are not far off illegal!!
I have participated in a few track days and 3 Ring trips!! I don't hang around!!
Do Not Listen to Nissan I run an MOT station and my tester would still not fail my tires!!
As for Brakes change to AP Disks and try different pads that will match your driving ie if you are a nutter try Pagid Yellows if not may be EBC!!
Where did you pick up the tyres and are they dunlops? I see that Sumo is offering a full set of yellow pads with free replacement brake lines so i might try them out as it is road use only at the moment. Eventually i can see this discs being replaced for better ones as mine are showing some hairline cracks around the drilled holes but this will have to wait till funds are better (money spent on me verses the wife and kids)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts