GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the time is approaching for new tyres... The car gets used occasionally, but sometimes I use it in the wet (I do live in Scotland lol)

I think I'm gonna go for 285/35 square set up, on the stock MY11 wheels.

But do I go for...

Bridgestone RE070
MPSS
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
R888's
or something different?

Thanks,

William

·
Registered
285 Posts
tyres and the wet

Ok, so the time is approaching for new tyres... The car gets used occasionally, but sometimes I use it in the wet (I do live in Scotland lol)

I think I'm gonna go for 285/35 square set up, on the stock MY11 wheels.

But do I go for...

Bridgestone RE070
MPSS
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
R888's
or something different?

Thanks,

William
hi Scotland and Ireland have something in common loads of rain, I am using mpss and find the road-holding in the wet and mileage excellent

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am going MPSS for sure. like you in Scotland. lack of grip is an issue in the wet but the tramlining is driving me crazy

go on litchfield site they like the MPSS Square setup

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Michelin will be better in the wet, but you could just go a bit calm when it's raining :)
Was gonna put me michelin pilot sport cup 2 on, but now winters here. Am gonna leave the mpss on... Brilliant tyres, made for the gtr, or so it seems......

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I am going MPSS for sure. like you in Scotland. lack of grip is an issue in the wet but the tramlining is driving me crazy

go on litchfield site they like the MPSS Square setup

I think Litchfield like the mpss 275/305 set up rather than square.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think Litchfield like the mpss 275/305 set up rather than square.

Well spotted, you are right.

"We also tried a wider version of the Michelin which worked even better. We chose to fit 275/35/20 Front 305/30/20 Michelin SuperSport tyres which in our eyes are currently the perfect higher performance tyre for the GTR as they not only have a wider contact patch (7% front and 6% rear) but also have a lower profile and therefore stiffer side wall. This gives a sharper turn in and improved steering feel as there is less side wall flex and the drivers inputs are more direct. The wider tyre also gives more steering weight which again aids feedback. The choice of wider profile also fits well onto the standard size Alloy wheels without affecting the balance of the car. The only downside to the wider tyres is slightly more tyre noise but this is arguably no louder than the OE Dunlops or Bridgestones anyway. We now carry the wider size Michelin’s in stock and a complete set of these costs £1,632 Inc. VAT fitted."

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've just fitted a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT, sourced from mytyres.co.uk for less than £1,100 :) Impressed with these in the wet, but bring on the snow! :D

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I've just fitted a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT, sourced from mytyres.co.uk for less than £1,100 :) Impressed with these in the wet, but bring on the snow! :D
To the R35? What are they like in the dry? thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
To the R35? What are they like in the dry? thanks
Yep. Not done many miles with them yet so difficult to tell. Was out for 50 miles or so on damp roads this morning (and 5 to 9 degrees C) and they were very reassuring. Once I've done more miles with them, I'll have a better idea of how they compare to the RE-070s in similar conditions.

I run Toyo SnowProx S953s on the S4 at present.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Yep. Not done many miles with them yet so difficult to tell. Was out for 50 miles or so on damp roads this morning (and 5 to 9 degrees C) and they were very reassuring. Once I've done more miles with them, I'll have a better idea of how they compare to the RE-070s in similar conditions.
Have you ran mpss? I just wondered how much better Blizzaks would be in the wet, and how they would compare in the dry as well... Do they grip well on full boost or wheel spin? what sizes have you fitted as well? thanks

Are they comfy to drive on as well? As arnt they runflat thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, never tried MPSS. I prefer to stick with runflats, with the security that I could always get home after a puncture.

I 'run in' tyres for several hundred miles before pushing their limits so not had them long enough to judge how they are under full power. They're maybe moderately more comfortable (if you mean a softer ride) than the RE-070s, but then I don't find the RE-070s too bad ;) on the COMF setting, which is what I run on the road.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi William , I used My GTR as daily in Scotland last year done 15k with mpss 285/305 and found them great in damp/wet. Bought another GTR done 7K in 5 month with the square setup with mpss but would recommend the 285/305.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Will the 275/35/20 - 305/30/20 setup fit on standard 09 rims? If so think this is what I will be going for!
they certainly do, I have them on my stock 09 rims :D I like the stance as it stops the tail kick i got with the Bridgestones, thus lets me have a faster drive.,. which i prefer. And no chance of wheel curbing with the 305 on the back

·
Registered
65 Posts
they certainly do, I have them on my stock 09 rims :D I like the stance as it stops the tail kick i got with the Bridgestones, thus lets me have a faster drive.,. which i prefer. And no chance of wheel curbing with the 305 on the back
Thanks! I will get some ordered this morning. Faster drive sounds good :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Thanks! I will get some ordered this morning. Faster drive sounds good :chuckle:
Tyreleader normally has good prices, and the usual camskill etc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spoke to Litchfield who don't have any in stock until later in the month. Been quoted 1120 fitted by NETE which doesn't seem bad!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts