• Falkens

Votes: 146 15.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Old chesnut.

Well, not wishing to resurrect old differences here, clearly the handling characteristics of a Focus will differ somewhat to a Skyline but even with that in mind, I simply can't understand the comments about the SO3s particularly the wet handling performance as I've found them to be absolutely superb on the road and on the track in the wet, a easy match for the SO2s.

They are soft and driven hard and aggressively on track especially on a warm/hot day they will roll over and die but I've done 3 or 4 track days on my current set and there's still plenty left on them.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I got some Kuhmo's on mine as a mate gets'em dirt cheap.

I couldn't justify the price of s03's.nearly 800 for less than a years use with a few track days.. I can get 4 sets of kuhmos for that....

They are ok and definately better than the worn out ones I had before... they do squeal a bit on hard cornering but they have the right kite mark on them and they are ZR rated..I haven't lost the car with them on yet...

never driven with decent tyres on there, perhaps if I get some spare wheels I may use decent ones for road and shite ones or cut slicks on track.

/Steve

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
P Zero

BUT IT MUST BE THE P Zero "C" the first and only true road legal competative circuit wet/dry tyre !! Have had three sets of them and while they are a premium tyre they are worth it with the number of track days i do a year !!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hated regular Pzeros, loved Goodyear F1's, not had much else lately, though have had split sidewalls on both Pzeros and Firestone tyres :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just changed from Falkens to Bridgestones

Uneven roads now seem to affect steering much more than before though not sure whether thats because I've swapped from 17's to 18's

Mal.

·
Registered
840 Posts
LONEWULF said:
Just changed from Falkens to Bridgestones

Uneven roads now seem to affect steering much more than before though not sure whether thats because I've swapped from 17's to 18's

Mal.
Yep it will be, I have 235/35/19's Conti's and the grip is phenominal, but if u pull up at a set of traffic lights, particullaly in a bus lane, u have to fight quite hard to keep it straight.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Now I know only a little about the Skyline suspension so this may not be relevent to you, but the fact is that most (all?) cars from Japan have lower supension bushes that are designed for use with rims up to a certain size, this is certainly the case with my Soarer and also the Supra, the standard rim size for both these cars [J-specs] is 16"rims, the Euro spec Supra has 17"rims but uses the same J-spec bushes.
The limit for good handling on standard bushes is 17" after this the whole thing deteriorates very rapidly as the tyres sidewall is reduced to less than 100mm [at that point tyre manufacturers increase the thread size of the strands of the tyre carcass) thus a greater shock load is tranmitted to the susp. and therefore the bushes are crushed at a highter rate and with greater deformity than designed for making the car less wieldy after ½ an hours driving, those of you with big wheels may notice this on a longish journey.

Go here for if you want a little bit on tyres;
http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub/onallfours.htm

Please delete this if it is not relevent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Club Sport?

I currently have 275 SO2's on, but need to be changed as worn out and yes on an uneven road I am arm-wrestling with the steering wheel.

I have been told that the Michelin "Club Sport" (not Pilot Sport) is another road legal wet/dry racing tyre. Michelin arranged for a demo day at Sepang and feedback was pretty good from those who tried it.(unfortunately it was for the Porsche club, Nissans not invited) I saw a write up of the club sport in the Japanese Club Skyline mag (last month), but no idea what it said, as cannot read Japanese. Has anyone heard of any feedback on the "Club Sport"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now on my third set of Toyo Proxies, although this time I have selected a slightly lower profile.
According to the advertising blurb which I read at the time, tests conducted in Germany indicated that the Proxies held the best grip under cornering/braking etc both in the dry and wet conditions. They were compared with all the other leading brands, including Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone.

They do feel good...very reasurring, always give the right feedback and no tracking (tested at 150 mph following Pegleg!) I also know from the cars historical records that the honourable Mr. Reeves used them....and some of us know his reputation as a demon on the track.
So, I figure they're good enough....

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Proxes

agree with you John. My cars previous owner used them and he only used the car on the track so I trust his judgement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Saw some interesting Dunlops on Mario's R33 at exvitermini.com

semi-slicks,very pro-looking

painful in the wet,but ultimate track day choice,for sure!

..oh,and Yokos,of course.Saw them monster-size on a Cobra returning from Nurburgring 24h!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bridgestones

I had them put on my fronts in the middle of march and now, about 2,000 miles and one track day (but only straight sprints plus a bit of fun when it rained heavily) later they are totally bald. Would love to carry on with SO3s but at that rate of wear it just isn't going to happen. Has anyone else suffered the same hopeless longevity or did i just get unlucky? My rears are the older bridgestones which, whilst more prone to pulling you all over the place do, at least, last a while

·
Registered
234 Posts
Baldness

Hi Peter - they are bald right across: the shoulders have a lot of wear primarily due to skidding (once) in the wet at elvington, but the baldness is right across the tyre. The bridgestones that were on when i bought it lasted 8,000 miles by me and whatever the previous owner had clocked up. I've regularly checked the pressure, so it has been nothing like that causing the loss of tread.
:confused:

21 - 40 of 341 Posts