Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Yokohama

Votes: 105 11.0%
  • Falkens

Votes: 146 15.3%

Tyres

191K views 342 replies 193 participants last post by  bhp 
#1 ·
Inspired by all the polls that have been cropping up recently and the evo trye test I though this might be fun!

Rob

#184 ·
I really wanted 255/45/17 in Goodyears F1s,but they dont make them! I dont want the car to sit on 255/40/17 as it catches speed bumps and ruins my splitter. So looks like Im heading towards Toyos (Which I had on my Subarus) or SO1 Bridgestones-SO3s are not made in 255/45/17 either!!!

#198 ·
Have used Eagle F1s on the road and was adeqately impressed.
Used Toyo T1R on a set of R33 rims for track days and was very impressed. Now use T1Rs on the rims I use for the road. Wear seems to be very good as well. T1Rs are also slightly cheaper than the T1Ss.
Also good in the wet.

#206 ·
GY Eagle F1's seem to have the majority here, should I buy?

Hi Guys, this thread has been running since 2002!!!!!!!!!! I flicked through and it seems the F1's have more back up by people who had them or have/had just got them. I have Kumho's all round and they are pretty good the previous owner put them on. Now the rears need a change desperately! Can anyone sway me away from the F1's and very importantly does anyone have any contact details of somewhere that gives the best deals??
I am running 275/30/19 's all round. I am a hard road driver:smokin: No tracks yet. thanks

#213 ·
Aitch,

Are you saying that I may have grounds for a refund from Bridgestone?

To be honest I was using Toyos and could not find a set when needed.

I then decided to buy the S03 on same size as the Toyo's.

Bridgestone Engineer came out and discovered my tyre pressures were on the low side.

They recommended 32 psi each tyre - Rising Sun did the tyre pressures (when cold) drove home and nearly crashed! The car was just tramlining all the way bk.

The engineer told me that the tyre was stretched and gave me details regarding this.

He told me that it was possible that the Toyos were slightly wider and even 1mm would make it sit properly on the rim..

I did a search and I found out that TVR was experiencing tramlining at low speed.

If you have any addational details I would be very grateful as I just brought the tyres and just want my money back so i can buy the Toyos.

Richard

#214 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum as I thinking to buy a 33 gtr and have been watching the Rsykline problem this what I have found out about it.

If the tyre manufacturer recomends a size rim for their own product this must be followed, If you have not followed their guide lines and you have a problem like Rskyline they can legally refuse the claim as you have not fitted to the correct size rim!

If another tyre manufacturer recomends that size it does not mean all manufacturer do.

As from toyo link Toyo Tires - Proxes T1R they only are recomending their product.

I called in to a Kwik fit near me and asked what size rim they would recomend for 255x40x17 running bridgestone s03 and he got a bridgestone pattern book out and looked it up "that size tyre from bridgestone would only recomend a 9" rim" I asked can I go wider to 10" rim he replied "Sorry I can only recomend what bridgestone say also if you put the tyre on a wide rim this would be stretching the tyre tyre to fit and possibly cause's handle problems".

he also gave me a copy of the pattern book dated 2005
I have scanned the page but can not load the picture up.

If you get any thing from Bridgestone I would be very surprised as its a fitment problem and not a problem with the tyre.

Sorry to be negative but I have had a problem we an another tyre manufacturer some time ago and they put the blame on to the tyre dealer who fitted my tyres on to a narrower rim than recomended. They said the dealer should have contacted them if they have not got the information ie tech data books etc.
My dealer told me to #### off and did the manufacturer so I will not use the french tyre company again.

Hope this helps
Tiggs

#216 ·
I have checked independant websites and it states that the 255/40/17 will fit on a 17/10j rim.

Richard
Hi Richard,

I have taken a look at your link mentioned and it's a inderpendant web site and not the manufacturer of the product you have and like I said if one manufacturer say's that their tyre's fit that size rim it's not across the board with all manufacturer's.
You have to follow what the manufacturer recomends of the product you have!

For example "you would not go to ford if you have a problem with your nissan and ask ford for tech data about your nissan because ford will laugh at you"

It's the same process with any product you buy and you want data for you must go to the manufacturer of the product you have bought.

Sorry for ranting on.
Tiggs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.