GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
For what use? IMO on the road the stock runflats and track the nismo runflats or a 888 type but ive heard the Nankangs are far better than Toyo, not tried em yet.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I always say to people and its even more pertinent with your car as it is the flagship Nissan car, do you not think Nissan put what they consider to be the best tyres on it?? Actually designed for that car! Now on a stock car you can say down to cost but the nismo has a few differences, turbos, wheel studs, bodywork etc so they could easily put any tyre on it as a Nismo only option, but no they fit what they fit and everybody thinks they know better than the designer and change major factors of the car. To me a GTR only drives like a GTR on runflats or 888 take them off and it becomes a soft non razor edged car, just like that really fit bird from college you see 3 years and 2 kids down the line still fun to ride but not as good as it could be!!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I always say to people and its even more pertinent with your car as it is the flagship Nissan car, do you not think Nissan put what they consider to be the best tyres on it?? Actually designed for that car! Now on a stock car you can say down to cost but the nismo has a few differences, turbos, wheel studs, bodywork etc so they could easily put any tyre on it as a Nismo only option, but no they fit what they fit and everybody thinks they know better than the designer and change major factors of the car. To me a GTR only drives like a GTR on runflats or 888 take them off and it becomes a soft non razor edged car, just like that really fit bird from college you see 3 years and 2 kids down the line still fun to ride but not as good as it could be!!
Interesting comments and hard to argue so why do the vast majority of people change? MPSS or 4s seem to be very popular. I have a stock car still running OEM tyres but will need to change soon. Personally i like the level of grip the run flats offer on a dry road but they are noisy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was in the same dilemma before Christmas. 4 x new tyres required (just over 7k on the originals).
Litchfield strongly recommend the MP4S (I have these on the daily) with 2 x sizes increase on both front & rears - Litchfield tyre choice
I also looked at the Bridgestone equivalents to the Dunlops.
In the end, I ended up purchasing what Nissan intended and stuck with stock (I like the idea of a runflat incase of the inevitable)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can honestly say if you're even remotely considering Pirelli's on a GTR then don't do it. Mine came with a set of P Zero's which are absolute Monkey in the wet, don't grip until 5th in the dry and I haven't even chanced them on ice. I'll be going MPSS as soon as i've torn some rubber off these.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts

Nissan HAVE to fit run flats as they can't fit in a spare. Spacesaver or otherwise. Which massively limits their choice.

Similar situation to performance. They HAVE to fit cats to meet emission requirements. Are cats good for performance?

I did drive a track edition a while back with the nismo dunlop run flats on. It was really very good and was a little quicker than similar spec cars running more track biased rubber so I would happily run them.

Failing that, you will get more comfort and wet grip on the michelin mp4s.

Nankangs seem to get great reviews too. And, they can in a suitable size for the gtr (toyo not so much)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Nissan HAVE to fit run flats as they can't fit in a spare. Spacesaver or otherwise. Which massively limits their choice.

Similar situation to performance. They HAVE to fit cats to meet emission requirements. Are cats good for performance?

I did drive a track edition a while back with the nismo dunlop run flats on. It was really very good and was a little quicker than similar spec cars running more track biased rubber so I would happily run them.

Failing that, you will get more comfort and wet grip on the michelin mp4s.

Nankangs seem to get great reviews too. And, they can in a suitable size for the gtr (toyo not so much)
They HAVE to fit runflats because of no room for spacesaver!! :unsure:Really plenty of performance cars come with no space saver and an air pump and tyre repair kit ie 911 Porsche that run a normal N rated tyre, they stopped using a spacesaver when people moaned the rear wheel and tyre from a turbo would not fit in the 'frunk' it had to be put on a front seat (and put the mrs in the frunk) As i said Porsche run a normal N rated Pirelli tyre and have no spare of any sort, i really wish people didnt post stuff verbatim thats just not true:rolleyes:

Cats Hmm legally we all need cats so surely we all still have them, thats not even an argument or a lot of equipment would not be on the car as for performance then proper FIA motorsport cats can be fitted that dont even effect performance until 500hp is exceeded (per CAT) Ill bet that before long we will be retro fitting CATS as its rumoured that not only are sound cameras coming but cameras linked to emissions !!!

Look at the Nismo still in the top 10 road cars around the ring (on runflats ) when that particular section of records is open on tyre choice, pretty simply any car on Michelins does not drive like a GTR was intended to (whether thats good or bad is your opinion) i would describe it as a scalpel compared to a hunting knife. But they were not fitted as an only choice ffs. I was mortified when I drove mine fast for the first time, it was on old pilots, I was going to sell it, my pal said bring it to his shop and he put his spare runflats on! Kin ell a revelation, noisey, uncomfortable, tramlined but it drove like a big go kart, try a car with Michelins and make an informed decision but bear in mind the designer of the GTR was asked at Silverstone about a year ago, what tyres would you fit now if you redesigned the GTR, he said the same tyres we specced back then, they are the best tyres for the car full stop.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Post stuff verbatim. Fpmsl! Your post is at odds. On one hand you're stating nissan spent millions on R&D and it's all spot on, yet your own project thread prompted someone to start a new thread saying when does a gtr stop being a gtr. You've changed that much of it.

Nissan did not fit the best tyres for the car. Period. It all comes down to personal preference. Be it ride comfort, wet performance, budget etc. Certainly there are instances where the runflats are the best choice. But not all circumstances as you have stated.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Post stuff verbatim. Fpmsl! Your post is at odds. On one hand you're stating nissan spent millions on R&D and it's all spot on, yet your own project thread prompted someone to start a new thread saying when does a gtr stop being a gtr. You've changed that much of it.

Nissan did not fit the best tyres for the car. Period. It all comes down to personal preference. Be it ride comfort, wet performance, budget etc. Certainly there are instances where the runflats are the best choice. But not all circumstances as you have stated.
Whoa rewind sunshine, you stated in capitals FFS they HAD to fit runflats !!! BS As for my build what does that have to do with a guy asking what tyres to fit on his car? Ive driven more GTR's at various specs than you can ever dream of driving so IMO I have a better opinion to give, as for my var who ever said it was relevant to this thread? In fact im thinking of getting another prob a DBA 2012 on and keeping it 4.5 because mine s too far removed from what a GTR was designed to be. Listen if you want ot get cocky then pm and we can meet up and discuss it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
What are you talking about John. Meet up to fight it out. Ffs! Get a grip. I thought we were on better terms than that but obviously not! I have messaged you as requested.

Agreed you have driven more gtrs than me. And I respect your knowledge for sure. I'm not however wet behind the ears in this area and spend Alot of time in the scene (as you well know) .

You made the point that nissan put tonnes into R&D and the runflats are the ones. Questioning why someone would change stuff.

I'm stating you've improved your car by deviating from those parts. If the Nissan stuff was the best for all occasions, then why would you have changed anything? (thr answer is to make it better for your personal needs).

I won the 2018 gtrdc sprint in a car on the nismo spec runflats and thought they were really good. But they simply aren't for everyone and I suspect terrible in the wet.

I don't think it's right to mandate any one tyre (oem or not) as being the best, without understanding what they're after.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have OEM Dunlop RF's on the front but 285's and R888R 315's on the back. It's a Jap spec. Saw the traction light flashing for the first time on some spirited driving on a very damp road at the weekend. I like the precise feel and water clearance at the front with the sticky Toyo's at the back for acceleration grip (I believe 75% rear bias normally and 98% in launch control). I have not launched yet but will get up to the Pod at some point I've had the car nearly 2 years now.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
I would suggest the reason why people fit non-OEM tyres (to any car, not just a GT-R) is that tyre technology evolves over time and at the time your car (any car again) was manufactured, tyres that are now available did not exist at that time.

So, for example, my 2011 car has MP4S fitted which were not available in 2011.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Whoa rewind sunshine, you stated in capitals FFS they HAD to fit runflats !!! BS As for my build what does that have to do with a guy asking what tyres to fit on his car? Ive driven more GTR's at various specs than you can ever dream of driving so IMO I have a better opinion to give, as for my var who ever said it was relevant to this thread? In fact im thinking of getting another prob a DBA 2012 on and keeping it 4.5 because mine s too far removed from what a GTR was designed to be. Listen if you want ot get cocky then pm and we can meet up and discuss it ;)
Run flats on a gtr are decent but junk compared to what else is available out there. Opinions are like arseholes........

Happy to pm, meet up face to face and discuss it anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R35 Section manager
10,705 Posts
So the question remains if Mp4s tyres really are that good why are Nissan now not fitting them to any new car produced?

Also has anyone seen a 35 go faster round the Nurburgring on Mp4s tyres than one on runflats? -The same spec cars?

I think the Mp4s tyres are better for everyday road use but they are not beat runflats when the car is pushed as there is still too much give in them on the corners.
This would be more apparent on higher performance cars but certainly noticeable on a track on a standard car.

This debate on tyre's has been going on for years and it seems will continue until a better all round tyre is produced.

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
I think the point everyone seems to be is the best tyre for the use case while the run flats might be great at extracting the last 10th on a dry track the MPSS/MPS4 are simply better at making the car more usable on the road in all conditions.

depending on what you want from the car will determine what tyres you fit, and if you have the means then multiple sets of wheels and tyres is probably the best answer overall.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Use both types?
Non-runflats for the road and OEM runflats or another stiff walled tyre (R888r for example) at the track if the car ever goes there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Manufacturers fit tyres based on the commercial deals they have, best financially rather than best from any manufacturer.

Litcho recommend Michelin 4S for all round road use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts