GTR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
R35 Section manager
10,752 Posts
Manufacturers fit tyres based on the commercial deals they have, best financially rather than best from any manufacturer.

Litcho recommend Michelin 4S for all round road use.
To a point I get that but runflat tyres cost more to produce than standard tyres so I dont think that's the only reason they are prefered by Nissan.

As soon as the 35 is driven at a good fast pace it is clear why runflats are used. Standard tyres still have bounce in them which maybe fine for 85% of road use but when really pushed there is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Runflats are a lot cheaper than Michelins and a spare alloy and save weight in a heavy car.

If runflats are so good from a performance standpoint, why don't Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren et al use them?

·
R35 Section manager
10,752 Posts
Runflats are a lot cheaper than Michelins and a spare alloy and save weight in a heavy car.

If runflats are so good from a performance standpoint, why don't Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren et al use them?

Tyre prices must of changed since I bought mine as runflats used to be dearer.

Ferrari and Lamborghini are not fast enough to use runflats 🤣

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have OEM Dunlop RF's on the front but 285's and R888R 315's on the back. It's a Jap spec. Saw the traction light flashing for the first time on some spirited driving on a very damp road at the weekend. I like the precise feel and water clearance at the front with the sticky Toyo's at the back for acceleration grip (I believe 75% rear bias normally and 98% in launch control). I have not launched yet but will get up to the Pod at some point I've had the car nearly 2 years now.
Interested in this set up. Have you looked at front and rear wheel speed via ecutek?

What stage/power is your car?

And what's it like when on the edge or wants to slide?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Haven't pushed it that hard yet. I have the Ecutek dongle and phone app so will check ad suggested. Stage 4.25 plus a few other bits e.g. Flex Fuel, Water-Methanol, Switzer FMIC and Okada Projects coil packs.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Haven't pushed it that hard yet. I have the Ecutek dongle and phone app so will check ad suggested. Stage 4.25 plus a few other bits e.g. Flex Fuel, Water-Methanol, Switzer FMIC and Okada Projects coil packs.
Pull a log. No need to go bonkers with the acceleration of you don't have the space. Take it up through several gears so you have some velocity and then check front and rear wheel speed. They should be pretty close. Interested in your results. Could be a nice combo.

·
R35 Section manager
10,752 Posts
I have OEM Dunlop RF's on the front but 285's and R888R 315's on the back. It's a Jap spec.

Interesting idea of having 2 different types of tyre on.

This is usually frowned upon when mentioned on here so I'm interested to hear some feedback from you on the set up?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Will use Ecutek to log. I saw the set up used by "Sabu Racing" in Jap mag "Rev Up". When the front 285 RF Dunlops wear out, I have some 285 RF Potenza Bridgestones with 6mm left. I will also have a comparator re the Dunlops. Not sure if I'm brave enough to go full Toyo R888R on the road all year round. The fronts clear more water before it gets to the Toyo's and the RF's are stiffer for steering precision.

·
R35 Section manager
10,752 Posts
. Not sure if I'm brave enough to go full Toyo R888R on the road all year round. .

No chance-As soon as it rained you would be in a hedge :ROFLMAO:

I would be interested to hear how the tyres cope when driven hard as this is the first time I have heard of this set up ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts