GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am interested in buying a R34. is it better to get a UK spec one or are the grey imports the same?! i know what the main differance between the two (leather.coolers,cd!)are but what i want is the pice of mind of warranty!! i have had trouble with it in the past on more then one acounts!!

thanks for any help!!

Chu(^_^)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The only R34s that come with a warranty are UK spec ones, supplied by Middlehurst. If you're buying one second-hand it'll also need to be less than 3 years old, and you might want to check whether it has been modified because this may void the warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Jimgill was considering selling his R34 GTR... An AWESOME Piece of machinery... :D UK Spec, Wicked Condition, Bayside Blue... Full Middlehurst Service record... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? !!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Chu

Depending on how much cash you have the original 1999 cars will be out of warranty soon so thats perhaps not an option for you.

Alternatively you could go for a 01 or 02 but I believe these may be quite rareish at the mo.

I bought a brand new import in 2000 but this is only because I had owned a 33 previous and knew how bulletproof they were if you look after them.

I don't think that anyones got any horror stories from a standardish or mildly tuned one whether it be UK or Import.

Good luck.

glen

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a UK 33 with the full service history from middlehurst which is where I bought it for the very reasons you have put forward and I must say it does give me piece of mind.

But in truth just look at the number of people who import and providing you go to the right place you should have no real problems. All these folk cant be wrong but ask the forum for their experiences when importing I am sure there are people here who can guide you in the right direction cos you will pay a lot more when you dont really need to.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, i was thinking of getting a 2000-2001 model, depending on price!
warranty would b a big issue as i do a lot of track days!! have a scooby type-r which they say is reliable and should not give you any problems!! to date i have been through 5 engines,3 turbos, 2 gear boxes and 1 rear diff!!:( and i could not get a pennie back from the warranty!!

Im also having a few problems with my HSV GTS-R warranty at the moment!! its all cheesing me off at the mo!!:mad:

i do hope that what you say about skylines are true and that they are that reliable!!

i wont be doing any silly power modes, as they say its not the car, its the driver!!;)

Chu(^_^)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again, Could some one tell me if the gearing on the UK cars are different then the ones on the imports? ie would 6th be longer?

thanks
Chu

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Whoever said a Type-R Scoob would be a reliable track car was a little misinformed, if you ask me. IMHO, they have very fragile engines and can only be deemed reliable if used on a sensible day to day purpose.

I've done 5 track days in my imported R34 and as long as you are willing to spend on maintenance (which aint cheap, believe me!) then you are pretty much guaranteed a bullet proof car.

Cem

·
Registered
811 Posts
Maintenance on any high performance turbo charged model is very important. THE *MOST* important thing is to change the oil and oil filter regularly without fail. I remember that on my MR2 Turbo Toyota Japan recommended every 4,500 miles. On my Skyline R34 there seems to be a bit of a grey area about how often its oil should be changed. I think Nissan told me 8k but this is way too long IMHO!

I personally recommend changing the oil every 3,500-4,500 miles. Yes, even when using synthetic oils. High boost turbo charged cars produce a lot of pressure and stresses on the engine (think of the hp we are all banging on about - if you double the power you need to double the frequency of the oil service too!). With this rule i have never had any problems... Get used to changing the oil yourself and you'll find you can do it in 20 minutes flat...

PS. What oil are you guys all using?

Nissan Middlehurst told me Mobil 1 is too thin for the Skyline and recommended Havoline Synthetic... I walked into their workshop and seen 5 _LARGE_ oil drums of the stuff. Are they biased because of this or is Mobil 1 genuinely going to kill a Skyline's engine??

Trev..

·
Registered
994 Posts
CHU

Hi,
Phone Mark at Abbey Motorsport,he knows of a couple of UK R34s for sale at the moment.

Oil + filter change every 1 to 2,000miles:) I use Motul Le Mans Motorsport 300v 15w60

Henry.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I do mine at 3000miles and use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W 50.

This is thicker than the normal Mobil 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what you mean!! engine made from butter!!:( still had fun in it when it was working!!:D a oil change every 3000-4000miles depending on how meny track days done!! (9 last year!!:eek: !!)

so what is the standard top end of the R34? i hear people say 155mph but then you get some saying 180+mph(pub talk??)

Also another problem with with the scooby is that i feel uneasy with the wife driving it!! with the car jakings etc!! are the skylines as bad as the scoobys or do they stand out too much for them!!

Chu

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
155 is the supposed limit for uk cars, this is a limiter that will not allow the revs the take you higher than whatever speed it is set to. Japanese cars are set to 112 mph.

when you delimit the car the top speed is only restricted by the length of the straight and the size of your nuts !!

you probably wont see much over 150 on a circuit though. you need to go to the autobahn to get some real top speed action.

if you are going to do track days a lot then the UK car would probably be a better bet as they have the oil coolers mounted on the as std.

you will also want to tweak it a bit to get the best from it on track.
I'd look for a stage 1 tuned Middlehurst car, I believe they still warranty this state of tune.

/Steve

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm not really surprised that the R34 can do it. In fact I believe that Andy Middlehurst (from Middlehurst Motorsport Nissan Dealeership) managed to get a tuned R33 GT-R up to 196 mph !!!

If you consider that I got to around 160 mph out of my last car on a trip to Germnay. (Based on Revs in 5th gear rather than speedo which had went cleanly 'off the clock' ...)

It was in a tuned (rolling road verified) 300bhp MR2 Turbo (1260kg's). The car still had more to give too but I didn't, I give in because it didn't feel 'comfortable' at that speed AT ALL, very bloody scary actually!! I think the gearing ratio's would have got me very soon anyway.

The Skyline always seems a lot more controlled and comfortable at high speed. I've heard stories that the M-Spec edition of the R34 GT-R (only available via importers or you can buy the suspension and retro fit it to uk cars for about 3k) has even better high speed stability for autoban blitzing... If you hit a bump in the GT-R R34's hard suspension at over 160mph you could change lanes, but not on the M-Spec suspension... (scary eh!!!)

Trev

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The R33 Skyline that is known as the beast which is owned by Gary Passingham of GTART fame has been clocked through the timing lights at brunting thorpe (a runway which is about 2.5 miles long.)

the car was clocked at 211mph one way and 217 the other, they used the lower figure as the claim.

check out Gary's website by looking him up in the profiles section.

Dunno about top speed with normal gears yet but intend to explore the envelope !!

/Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts