GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed running in my UK 34 and observe that the gearbox is great and combined with the different turbo's to the 33 lag is almost eliminated.

Which brings me to boost, the car is still standard and I've seen a peak reading of 1.16 bar. Quite high, but a great starting point all the same. I'm going to the dyno day and am anticipating 320bhp stock. If this is the case then with just intakes, down pipe, exhaust (but no re-chip) we should be looking at 390bhp plus, and with re-chip (no 155 limiter, different fueling map ect) and boost evc set to 1.2 bar 420 bhp should be acheivable (like Joss's car).

Question (especially to jap owners):

Can the 34 turbo's safely run 1.4 bar, provided head gasket, pipe's ect are seen to as well?

Thanks guys

Jamie M

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Hi there,

I noticed the turbos used to get to those levels while running in but now the max I ever see is between 1.0-1.05.
Nismo don't advise upping the boost to more than 1.05 and probably 1.1 with overboost. If you do this it would be a good idea to change the spark plugs.
A few people on the forum run their R34 at 1.2 on standard turbos but that is considered "unsafe" to some.

1.4 on ceramics is really pushing it. Problems are lightly to occur and I suggest you go for a steel rebuild if you are looking for such boost levels.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dino,

During run in did you also find the fuel consumption was slightly higher as well?

Interesting that your boost "settled down" perhaps the chip learn's the engine's particular charactristics and then sets up accordingly?

Jamie.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
jamie m...yes it was, but that is normal when the engine is "tight"

About the boost....I wonder?!?!!:confused: Either that or when I had the car in at Nissan for the first service they did something to the ECU...they always plug in a laptop for a diagnostic check anyway....
Anyone?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not In the Know but!

That would make total scence as a none run in Engine can not be set up properly, so on the first service they shouold run through all settings and as things will have beded in they need resetting so why should this be any diffrent for the boost level! I would like to add this is only theory.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I can second DCD on that.

It was explained to me at Nissan Prince in Tokyo that the first diagnostic check is also to 're-configure' the system as the run-in settings are not optimum.

Additionally, when my GTR had the exhaust and inlet pipes changed at the Nismo Omori factory they were adamant that the boost should not go over 1.14 on the factory turbines.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
So what is the safe level for the stock ceramic turbos? This is with assumption that the intakes, down pipes and exhaust are seen to?
What is the boost level for stage 1????
Regards,
J

·
Registered
225 Posts
General opinion on 33 seems to be 1.12 BAR - dunno about 34, how different are they?? - depends on how u wanna chance it mate - BUT - impeller blades through engine appears to be an expensive hobby! - even for U!!!
What time is it???
Why won't she just go home???
Taxi!!!

Have U sorted vasaline stains from your seat yet????
:D :D :D
Note - Change all phone numbers and email addresses!!!

PS Jamie is my bitch!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Ooh no

Varying reliable sources have told me that 1.4 bar on standard turbos are A Bad Thing (TM).

Also remember that when you are seeing peak 1.16bar, that is normally a spike and if you look at the logging graph, it lasts for a fraction of a second, practically irrelevant. As Mark at Abbey said, the MFD is too accurate.

I am now seeing a peak of 1.18 bar (before exhaust change, I saw 1.05) and I see 1.2 bar on our turbos as potentially dangerous (that's sustained boost).

First thing I want to do to get more boost is change the turbos.

Cem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts