GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mate of mine recently picked up a UK R34 GTR. All was running fine for a while until a weird problem cropped up.

The car is standard running only very mild mods, HKS Super Dragger, HKS filters, Middlehurst sports cat, a Blitz power meter iD and a Blitz boost controller iD. It runs at 1.1 bar for around 350HP according to the Blitz power meter. The problem showed up when the car had 12.500 miles and basically out of the blue the car lots a good chunk of power. This power loss (dropped to 220-230HP) has also been confirmed on the dyno.

Pretty much everything has been checked:

- injectors, (also flow tested)
- coils
- fuel pump
- turbos
- checked for boost leaks
- boost controller
- A/F
- spark plugs changed
- and even checked the ECU using a BOSH ECU checker which returned the result "ECU IS NORMAL"

There are no dodgy noises coming from the engine but the car remains sluggish and not as powerful at the same 1.1 bar boost. Other strange thing is that the Power Meter iD has been acting weird with higher values being displayed. It's been replaced thinking it was faulty but the new one does exactly the same.

Has anyone got any pointers or ideas?? It's truly a mind boggling problem this as everything really does seem to be running perfectly.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Next checks I would say are do a compression/leak down test and check for bad earths/dodgy relays.
Other possibility is cam timing.

3,663 Posts
DCD,

think I have sorted it, been mailing over the last few days.

Mark

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi,

I wrote to Mark for a his help. Today my mechanic will phone to Abbey for other check. If this strange problem will be not fixed, I've asked to Mark to come in Italy.

Thanks to all for support.

Carlo

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi,

The crank angle sensor, from Abbey, has arrived and it has been fitted, but my problem is not, unfortunately, still fixed. The Ps on blitz power meter and drive sensation are always the same. However in the next day we'll put the car on dyno.

It's really strange situation all seems ok (like wrote Dino no dodgy noise from enfine or other) but the car have only 200/220 ps with standard bost and 290 at 1.1 bar :confused: . I hope that with help of Mark resolving my problem soon ;)

Carlo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stupid question (as I am all the way down in Australia), are there any Nissan dealers in Italy? Take the car in to them and plug it in to their Nissan Consult while its still running. This displays a massive amount of information from stock ECU's and will show up any electrical problems pretty quickly.

Friend here has a R32 GTR and got a set of low km second hand 34 AFM's. Car did exactly the same thing, lost power for no obvious reason. Plugged it into Consult at a dealer here and one AFM was showing some really wierd figures. Nissan dealer had one in stock for another customer, was plugged in quickly and all went back to normal.

Just an idea, if at all possible :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Amaru said:
Stupid question (as I am all the way down in Australia), are there any Nissan dealers in Italy? Take the car in to them and plug it in to their Nissan Consult while its still running. This displays a massive amount of information from stock ECU's and will show up any electrical problems pretty quickly.

Friend here has a R32 GTR and got a set of low km second hand 34 AFM's. Car did exactly the same thing, lost power for no obvious reason. Plugged it into Consult at a dealer here and one AFM was showing some really wierd figures. Nissan dealer had one in stock for another customer, was plugged in quickly and all went back to normal.

Just an idea, if at all possible :)
-------------------------------------------------
Thanks for mail Amaru.

With a BOSCH ECU checker (this checker has, in his memory, the params for the R34 GTR ECU too) my mechanic has, already, checked the main information from Stock ECU (AFM volts, ecc.) and all the singles values are correct. Then at the end of control, the checker show a message like this: "ECU VALUES IS NORMAL"

About Andy's post, we haven't still checked the cluth, but there is not a sensation of slip. However we will hold in consideration also this particular. Thanks.
:(
Carlo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts