GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a look at a UK spec R33 gtr the other day.It had the extra oil cooler and vent in the front skirt along with the fog light in the rear bumper.I have read that UK skylines came with leather seats and this one did not have leather.
Can you check any other way to make sure it is a uk car.Should it have leather?????

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I believe uk cars have a 13 digit chassis no imports only have a 7 digit chassis no, your nissan dealer should be able to confirm this.

I have a 1998 R33 UK skyline without leather I think they only had leather in the UK R34 skylines

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
uk cars have the following:

1. big intake on the front bumper which comes out on the passenger side for the engine oil cooler.

2. rectangular indicators on the front bumper.... they are half indicators and half sidelights.

3. look under the back of the car... two more oil coolers are here.

4. all are v-spec... should be a v-spec sticker on the tail gate.

5. chassis number plate in the engine bay (bulkhead, driver side) is blue. tell us the number.

the indicators and coolers are the giveaway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
UK 33's

Leather was a cost option from new on the UK cars.

The rear fog lamp which is inserted into the bumber, came as a standard fixture for all the series 3 'R33', 97 onwards.

Regards

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
VIN Numbers.

Hi,

According to MM, the vin number on the UK models ends in R33U00000** where the last two digits were 00 to 99 =100 UK models. Checked mine and it seems to be the case.

Matt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info..
The Vin numbers tallies so do the visible mods.I just need to get under the car to check the coolers but I am pretty sure it is the real deal...
Does anyone know why UK cars need these extra coolers????
From what I have seen in the world cup it is hotter in Japan than here so why do they not have them????

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
They don't really need them. Nissan UK wanted to charge an obscene amount of money for the skyline GTR, and to try and soften the blow, they specced it up a bit. Hence Oil coolers.

The coolers are not really for the weather factor; more for the "ragging it on a track day" factor.

They are totally a good idea. Particularly if you start tuning, or like to give it large on the track. Most nicely tuned jap cars will have had these coolers put on anyway.

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
UK R33s

Why don't the UK models have a high brake light fitted in the rear spoiler?
The lens is there and the loom is there, but no light. Seems rather daft really, why fit one and then take it out?
Any Ideas?

Matt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Extra Oil Coolers

The extra oil coolers were added on the basis to obtain the 3 year UK Nissan Warranty.

The worry was for owners taking their cars to Germany and running them flat out on the Autobahn's for lengthy periods of time.

Another note to consider, the joining pipe work for all the additional coolers, inspect all the aluminium elbow joiners going in and out of the oil pumps, prone to corrosion.

It's worth getting them coated with some grease or oil to save them from the weather.

Regards

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
My UK R33 is undersealed, and the previous import I had had been undersealed before I bought it. So cant really tell, however MM did indicate that in Japan they are not undersealed.
The thing to check with the oil cooler piping is that the joints are prone to splitting, through being overtightened rather than corrosion, 1 in 3 were found to have split fittings before being put on the road. Probably due to the work being contracted out and not being done by Nissan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts