GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the R33 GTR's in the UK ever came with a factory leather interior.

Also did the UK spec ones have one reverse light and one Fog light in the rear?

Thanks guys..

Kent

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
No.

Technically speaking there is no such thing as a "UK spec R33". R33's were never officially imported into the UK, Nissan only started officially endorsing imports of Skylines with the R34, and even today this is done by one dealership only (Middlehurst).

Since R33's were never officially imported, there are no models that I am aware of that have leather interior as standard (Note: leather retrimming is done by Middlehurst on R34s of their own volition to differentiate UK spec cars from Jap R34 imports).

R33's weren't fitted with rear foglights as the Japanese market does not require one to be fitted. Usually when they have been imported and gone through the SVA procedure - they have a rear foglight, etc fitted in order to pass. Most people probably take it off in between MOTs though. :rolleyes:

As for reverse lights, as far as I am aware it has one on the left hand side. I can't be sure about this though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm interesting i have seen one with a fog light in the right hand side, inbuilt into the light assembly, exactly like the reverse light is (although it is obviously red), are the complience ones aftermarket ones or are they integrated like this?

(there is a switch under the steering wheel)

is there any such thing as factory leather in an R33? it looks identical to the normal seats, although in leather...

Could just be an aftermarket thing i guess.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I had a rear foglight bolted onto the bottom of my bumper, activated by a switch under the dash. I took it off because it looked unsightly - although obviously I'll have to replace it before my MOT is due.

Richard Bell has modified his car to make his foglights part of the brake light assembly (by far the most elegant solution).

I'm sure other people have simliar set ups. The thing to remember that in all cases these set ups will have been carried out by the importer/owner of the car, not by any official dealership. That is why there's no standard to how people have (or even haven't) installed rear foglights on their R33s.

If an R33 has leather interior, its almost certainly an aftermarket addition :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
UK R33

Durzel

I beg to differ I'm afraid. :p

MM sold 100 UK Spec R33, starting in Sept 97.

They had various extra oil coolers fitted, most notably to the rear diff. They also had the non-Xenon lights. :mad: Other additions: Kenwood stereo, CAT1 alarm, MPH speedo obviously, rear fog light, grill in front n/s bumper, 3 year warranty.

Leather was not standard on these, but I believe it could be ordered as a £2k option.

Chris

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Thats right. 100 R33s and 100R34s were officially sold. They even made the english language brochure for both!:)

I thought Connolly did the leather for the R34s at their factory....there is an article on this in an old GTR Magazine

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
UK 33s

Durz et al.
I have one of the UK 33s and lots of extra goodies on them from scratch. in fact it is number 33 as the vin plate tells me!!
Rumour has it that Middlehurst put about 10Ks worth of extra to have to UK spec.
Main diff is the coolers for the Oil, Diff and Gearbox which is a MUST for the UK roads as you will very quickly heat up the oil on the motorways and track days. If you have not got one on the import then get one!!
They did not come with the Xenons as these lights do not meet our UK specs. They do have a diff front bumper with diff vents for the coolers as well as the fog lights and relfectors on the rear bumpers, as well as having 2 reverse lights.
You could choose leather if you wanted but this was an addition.
Nice to have a UK one as I know the full histroy of it through Middlehusrt and it has laways been run on UK fuel.
Plus the insurance is cheaper than the imports... :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Are diff and gearbox oil coolers seperate items from the Trust, HKS "oil coolers" you typically see about? Or do these just take care of the car's "main" oil?

You'll have to forgive my inexperience here... When I've been driving about on the motorway, usually the oil temp gauge (turbo temp presumably) goes to about 1/2 way on the gauge, maybe a little less. What I have been doing is letting it cool down so that its just over 70 degrees (the bottom of the scale) before switching off the engine.

Am I thinking of something completely different here? Or is what you're saying related to this...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
pass

is the answer to that one.
I don't really think they are as necessary as the main oil cooler but a nice bonus and not to be sniffed at.
Correct me if I am wring chaps.
Keeping all the oils cooler has got to be better and prevents any damage to seals or vale seats.
Nick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oil temps

On my UK Spec R33, the oil cooler seems to be very effective.

It takes a determined right foot to move the guage over about a third of the way up. I've seen it half way up the guage round Goodwood but that's as far as it's gone.

A worthy addition methinks.

Chris

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I agree Chris

I have rarely seen the gauge above like 85 degrees.
Obviously working or I am not pushing hard enough :)
On a recent run in a Jap car on the M1 temps were getting over 100 degrees. Long term effects must add up somewhere along the line.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Durz.

The diff and gearbox coolers are all sep items and they run off different lines to the main oil cooler. If were to see the underneath of the cars it is a network of lines running from front to back, from coolers to diff or gearbox.
I think your next mod should be an oil cooler without fail.
Try abbey or think automotive (london) who distibute the mocal coolers for the UK.
Nick

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Thanks for all the advice peeps :)

As it turns out, Im probably going to be going to Abbey shortly anyway because Ive just passed 24,000 miles (service time!). Any kind of ballpark figure for how much a decent oil cooler + labour required to fit will set me back? (obviously I know it depends on the make)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi.

The very last of the R33's (1997-98)came with a built in fog light.
The switch is on the left handside below the steering wheel.
The later ones are easy to identify. they have a red back ground
to the inerior. as opposed to blue.
They also have more bracing at the rear of the cars shell.

Have a look at Shin's site, Prospec. All the info is there.

Cheers Tom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
has anyone got any pics (or know of any) R33's with the leather optioned seats... i would be greatly interested to see what they look like

Did leather ever come as an option on an R33 from japan?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts