• Stay as we are

Votes: 51 58.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the Radio there are calls for the UK to "get with the times" before the 2012 Olympic Games or we'll be seen as old fashioned.
Great! More following whatever is happening in Europe!

:rolleyes: I'm quite happy with what we've had for years thanks!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Irrelevant to most people here

Speed in one, speed in the other.

Still illegal, just bigger numbers.

Think that signs should show both, residential speed limit should be 20/32, motorway should be 80/128 with variable speed limit up to 90/144 as well as down.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
jae said:
Residential speed limit should be 20/32, motorway should be 80/128 with variable speed limit up to 90/144 as well as down.
Not workable.
Makes too much sense.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jae said:
Irrelevant to most people here

Still illegal, just bigger numbers.

Think that signs should show both, residential speed limit should be 20/32, motorway should be 80/128 with variable speed limit up to 90/144 as well as down.
I'd say it was relevant especially to people on here, alot of us have just had their speedo converted to miles and now it doesn't show kms... can't see tony buying me a new one? ;) :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
christ sakes - were not in the dark ages and yet we still insist on using outdated measuring systems - this country decimalised in god knows when it was - we should be using kms now let alone before 2012.

We cant buy our potatoes (legally) in pounds and onces wtf are we still doing in mph (yes i do feel overly strongly to this matter and i dont know why :) )

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
The only remaining superpower in the world doesn't even know what the metric system is, so I don't think it's really reflective of being "left behind".

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I am use to mph, and I don't see a reason for changing.

But I am willing to go with the time and go to Kph if they also bring the Autobahn here with the new change to update our current speed limit laws. :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
i think we should change to kilometers for the reason that it is a more precise measurement and it would mean we fall inline with the rest of the world bar america

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Fast Guy said:
If they change, they'll probably leave all the speed limit signs in place and say that's the speed limit in km/h:mad:
Like they did here in Germany with the prices when they went to the Euro???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Might be alright, it'd mean I could take out my speedo converter. :D ;)

I'm not fussed really either way, but it might make more sense. I have no idea what a gallon of petrol looks like, but I recognise a litre.

What about beer though, would I still be able to buy a pint of Stella, or would I be having half a litre. :confused: That'd be wierd.

·
Registered
832 Posts
When I was a kid mph made alot of sense. My overly cautious dad driving his mercedes 300td at exactly 60mph, made it easy to figure out how long the trip was going to take......Not much use for a bunch of guys with 500hp gtr's.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeh! Imagine the Old Bill stickin cameras up nickin us for 30 kmh!! a licence to print money and get us all more points... feels like u can get out and walk at 30/40 mph as it is.... Why are the police so intent on slowin us down to snail pace, i mean aint they tried drivin a Skyline, brakes, handling, safety aspect of the car means we could (and some of us do i'm sure :)) compromise the speed limit from time to time :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm for KPH & all things metric....

I just don't like the imperial stuff, 12 inches = a foot, alot feet = something else bigger ..... and a few of those = a mile???

Plus, having a KPH speedo instead of MPH makes my cars feel faster!:D

P.S Don't get me started on that pounds & ounces thing.... Could it be anymore confusing? G's & Kg's all the way

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Bajie said:
Not workable.
Makes too much sense.
PMSL - I and millions of other would reckon dual signs would be ideal but I bet that NO ONE in the bl**dy government has even considered it - probably some law that the writing has to be a set size and the signs cannot be too big so it won't fit :rolleyes: .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts