GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm about to begin restoration work on what is in essence, a shell, I thought I might try to understand a little of the history of my Middlehurst supplied R33 GT-R.

I'm well aware that these are old cars and that there is, pretty much, no such thing as a standard GT-R. However, I'd like to know if anybody knows anything about the car, any history and so on. I will contact Middlehurst once I've put my feelers out onto the forum, I just wondered if the community might be able to help.

I purchased it from R32Combat (nice chap, incredibly helpful) and he explained that it previously belonged to someone on the forum called Damodean. I have attempted to contact them but to no avail.

So here my search begins. I'm interested to hear about its history, possibly why it came to be broken for parts and anything else anybody might know.
Just to clarify, I paid a fair price for what I have an accept it for the condition it's in & nothing more. This is purely a history lesson for me and will form what I hope is a really interesting piece of background about the car, once it's been built.

I appreciate how rare having these cars in good condition is going to be moving forwards so I figured anything I can add to the story would be interesting.

The numberplate is S*** BTC.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. If this is not in the correct sub-section of the forum, feel free to move as necessary.

CJ

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damodeane was kind enough to share that he also had bought the car as a shell.

Previously it had been owned by a chap named Martin Sweeney who was doing a ground up restoration on it, stripping and painting it plus building an rb30 for it.

The previous owner to him apparently competed and one totb with it. Hopefully somebody else can point me in the direction of Martin Sweeney (Damodeane has lost his number) or the owner of it when it went to totb.

Any help graciously appreciated.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
So far as I can see he was a trader so I doubt you'll get much history from him.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the tip, thanks very much!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For eveyone who's kindly helped on this, I've asked Martin Sweeney via email if he can help with the story/gaps and explained the latest but I've yet to hear back. Mookistar could well have a valid point about him not wanting to comment, which I appreciate.

What is positive however, is that I stumbled upon a thread on Pistonheads about an owner restoring a Peugeot 309 Goodwood. This owner applied to the DVLA for information about previous owners for the exact same reason I did and actually got lucky and received a response from the very first owner. That thread is here: 1992 309 Goodwood impulse buy - PistonHeads

So I've downloaded and printed the V888 form and will crack on. Whilst I expect not all of the car's history is documented and declared to the DVLA, it would still be interesting to find out anything I can.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In an unexpected turn Martin Sweeney kindly sent me his contact number and filled me in on his experience:

Martin bought the car from the GTR Register. He imported cars and had about 30-40 at the time but bought this for personal use. It was transported to Ireland and he bought a 26 to fit into it. That plan then changed and a 30 was purchased, a good head was bought and machined and some chunky turbos.

The car was then re-sprayed and a small dent on one side was repaired.
When the car was with the previous owner it had a full Bride interior and had run in TOTB. It was between 800 and 1,000 bhp, twin in tank fuel pumps and Nitrous. The owner decided to part out the car as it was worth more than selling complete and replaced the Skyline with an Aston and/or Lamborghini.

Martin had several other quick cars including Evos in the 700bhp bracket and eventually decided to just sell the R33 on. It is one of the last R33’s and some of the parts, including the elusive UK front bumper, may still be in Ireland but he’s not sure and has kindly offered to ask the person he sold his Irish business to.

He is going to see if he can find details of the owner who drove the car at TOTB and if possible, has agreed to share them with me so I can continue to piece together information about the car’s history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts