GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The third round of the Jap Drag Series was held at the Ultimate Street Car Event at Santa Pod, in conjuncton with the FWD Outlaw Series.

Although the event was held across Friday, Saturday and Sunday and is heavily attended with over 50,000 of the public, most are not strongly in into drag racing. In fact most seem at this event seem to be into alcohol and drugs!

The schedule was several qualifiers Saturday and Eliminators Sunday.

With Saturday weather looking decidedly wet, we arrived early to make the first qualifier at 09:30. However, the sign on took longer than anticipated and as a result we just missed the first visit to the track.

The next was not scheduled until 2pm in afternoon, worryingly looking at clouds forming. But Pod showed some common sense and brought it forward to just before the lunch break.

Jeff and I lined up for qualifier 2, with limited grip and a bit squirrelly I ran an 8.6sec and Jeff managed and equally lively 8.9sec to place us first and second fastest. We both agreed the track preparation did not sem to be of a high standard.

Not long afterwards the heavens opened with heavy repeated rain to point paddock became flooded.

We waited until around 4pm and decided there was going to be no more qualifiers on Saturday, packed up and left.

Sunday came, bright, with blue skies.

First eliminator was scheduled for 09:30, however one of the FWD guys had failed to qualify, so they allowed them to run a qual at 09:30 (but strangely not us) and moved our eliminator too 10:30.

Because there where so few runners, the first eliminator was actually a semi-final. Jeff lined up against Liam in his RX. Jeff being Jeff tried to make things more interesting by failing to launch correctly and bogging down on line with Liam away. In fact, Jeff launched three times before finally getting going and chasing rapidly after Liam. Luckily for him, Liam was not on high boost due to lack of testing so he was just able to catch him before the line!

I was up against Andre in a GTO he had borrowed. Three rounds, three different cars! Unlike Jeff, no half measures for me. Lights and go, banged off a 8.49sec against Andre's distant 13.8sec.

So Jeff and myself in final. Which was scheduled for 4pm!

Tea and TV in Jeff's truck whilst we waited.

Then Pod had another dose of commonsense and brought it forward to 3pm, other than we sat in fireup area waiting for about an hour.......

The final looked like being a good one. Jeff in the GTR33 Sherbert Lemon capable of 8's and myself in GTR34 RIPS Blue Streak.

We did burn outs and staged.

Lights went and we both cut 0.2sec RT's.

Blue Streak launched sweet and straight, quick glance in side mirror cannot see Jeff. Must be alongside in the blind spot. Foot in all the way, cut an 8.5sec. Still cannot see Jeff, has he done a new PB?

No.

Another failed launch. I couldn't se him because he was still back on the start line! I crossed the finish before he made half way!

Jeff did get an 8sec quarter, trouble was, the 8 had a 1 in front of it!

So, win went to me.

We both hung around until 6pm to collect our trophies.

I'm sure there will be a few photo's and video's, unless Jeff can get to them first to save his embarassment!!!

Next round JDS is Monstor Truck Nationals on 17th August at Pod.

DaveG

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
i will get some more pics up later just not getting alot of time at the moment because of work but heres just a few for now :)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Will. Forgot to mention you won the 4WD RWYB Class! Congratulations!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts