GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the idea of building a race car has popped up again, and the class that I'd want to run in has a limit of 450bhp.

So what's the ultimate R32 build?

First thought - build a GTS-4, not a GT-R. IIRC, GTS-4 diffs are even shorter geared than the R32. Korean tracks don't get too fast (no Phillip Island here!) so top speed isn't a requirement, but drive out of corners is.

Second thought - build up an SR20DET instead of the RB20, for better engine placement. But can the AWD be kept with an SR20 swap? I'm pretty sure the 2 liter limit is still in place for amateur touring cars, but even if it weren't, I'm thinking the smaller engines will save weight.

What would be the better choice for a 450bhp engine with lots of torque and little lag - a 2.0 liter SR20, or a 2.0 liter RB20? Interesting food for thought there, although I'm sure someone has expert knowledge on the topic.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
R34 turbo`s for starters, my car was awesome in this spec but ran out of umphh at around 130mph. Then just a case of losing wieght.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
RB20s are shitehouse in GTS4s, don't even think about it - too little torque and too much weight don't work well together. RB30DET with a twin scroll GT3071R, the turbo will max out at around 450hp and spool like a monster and have huge power everywhere. Basically make just under 450hp, but have it available from lowish revs... so its always pulling very hard.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just swap gts4 diffs into the lighter gtr body, gtr also has more track.

If you want to go sr20 awd, GTiR or awd primea would be the go, spend some cash lightening them and you'd have a potent little rocket :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, those are some good starter ideas. An RB30 would be great, but way heavy up front. I like how SR20 installations in a Skyline have it sitting more behind the front shock towers.

R32 prices have plummeted in Korea, if I can find one that someone has given up on, I can start from the shell and build up from there.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
RB30 can't be much different to 26 or 20, so if you are going RB you may as well. If you are willing to spend the money then get a VK50VE, put it into a GTSt or RWD converted GTR and with boltons etc it should be able to make near 450hp. No lag at all, and the coolness of being NA. Or a twin turbo VQ35DE should be able to make 450hp no problem on low boost... and the weight distribution will be way better than with an RB.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Assuming that there is no weight limit but there is a power limit then you want to maximise power to weight. So the lightest car possible is one good starting point. R32s would make sense out of the Skylines but only if you want 4WD. If you're going RWD then a 200SX should be lighter and cheaper. As someone else pointed out a GTiR starts out a couple of hundred kilos lighter than a GTS4. Though I've got to say that there so much more modern stuff out there with 15-20 years extra development...

With regard to the power output an inlet restrictor would limit the power output. I'd be temped by the V8 in a 200SX. On a cost basis you might be best sourcing an LS engine with the right output and drop that in. Big capacity would help with torque.

If you could find one the perfect car would be a stripped Garayia (sp?) and chuck a turbo at the SR20VE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts