GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have a good look underneath to see how the aero is packaged on the later cars (the earlier ones don't have most of the bit in the pics below).
The car is very well engineered from a performance point of view, but the interior experience is quite far apart from Porsche or Audi.

I plan on replicating as much of the GTR under car aero as I can and fit it on my Time Attack GTO.

Anyway, some pics for you...

As always, thanks to Ben at Eurospec for the use of the facilities/ramp.

Mark ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was at Valet Magic this morning and Robbie had an MY14 on the ramps. I was amazed at the amount of bare untreated metal around the transmission tunnel. Gonna get mine on the ramps and under seal / waxoyle the bare areas as these will in time be very prone to rust:mad::mad:

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Nice pics. Your car is exactly the same as mine. Did you replace the undertray bolts, mine are all rusty already. Are you leaving the secondary cat, it really does sound much better with a Y pipe, I fitted a Milltek non res on mine which is warranty friendly.

Unfortunately I haven't seen my car for 3 weeks now, you've probably read the warranty claim story, gearbox is weeping at the casing joint, new box coming from Japan, could be weeks yet. Missing it badly already.

Btw, does your drivers seat squeak if you push the back rest?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I was at Valet Magic this morning and Robbie had an MY14 on the ramps. I was amazed at the amount of bare untreated metal around the transmission tunnel. Gonna get mine on the ramps and under seal / waxoyle the bare areas as these will in time be very prone to rust:mad::mad:

Cheers
Louie
Can't hurt to seal it all up, but the shell is pressed from steel that has zinc bonded to it, at a molecular level. Cat ionicaly bonded, no less.
To a degree, it heals itself too. So, I'm not worried.

I have a 1992 Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo with "bare metal" everywhere on the underside. Minimal rust. And it's an import. I'm not worried.

Paul

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Hmmmm, not sure the "new" cars are any better than the older ones then !!!

You need to replace the bolts as they rust and as for the aero bits, does that make that much difference ?

I was travelling at 175mph and other at nearly 200mph on the German de restricted road last week and the car was as stable as anything i have ever driven !

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I think apart from the carbon bit at the back its the same as a MY09
I'm sure there are some changes as the drag coefficient is lower on the my11 onwards cars (only by 0.01, but it all helps)

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I'm sure there are some changes as the drag coefficient is lower on the my11 onwards cars (only by 0.01, but it all helps)
LOL you'll be taking a sh*t then before you go out in the car to make it lighter !!!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
LOL you'll be taking a sh*t then before you go out in the car to make it lighter !!!
Drag (cd) and weight are 2 different things.
My mate weighed himself before and after and there was no difference lol

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
0.01?
The difference between a wet car and a dry car?
A dirty car and a clean car?

Please! :D

Having a sh1t, just in case :chuckle:
0.01 is about 3%, could be important at the to end or to fuel economy!

Maybe I'll get a hair cut to improve the 0-60 time lol

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Indeed and they then snap off if you're not careful. (Undertray bolts that is)
Are there any recommended replacements Steve?
Oops just read Litchfield do some sets - will replace when I'm there in June.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts