GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
what year car? The earlier cars had smaller capacity batteries to start with and when they run too low I believe it is detrimental to the batterys health making the problem worse in future

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
talking of the battery, I think mine is on its way out... as about 10 minutes radio use, whilst the car is parked and not running, then it seems to find it harder to crank..

what battery are people recommending nowadays? Not hijacking the thread, as OP may have a similar question soon...... thanks

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
optima yellow top seems to be the prime choice. Not sure what a good price is but I think I saw a whiffbits advert on here for £160 (possibly plus VAT).

Although I suspect a larger capacity halfords battery would still be fine and that would be less than £100 for their top of the range.

I noticed on another thread the OP has a 59 reg car meaning it's the smaller batter. Not 100% sure but I suspect the bigger batteries came in for the MY12 cars onwards.

I think battery upgrade should be a standard consideration now for those buying the 09/59/10 cars.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
The thing with car batteries is that they just die all of a sudden. So one minute they are fine and the next time you start your car they have had it. Charge it up and if it fails to hold its charge by the next day then its time for a new one.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok an update.

jumped the car this morning, started fine drove fine.

got to work, switched her off left her 5 mins and she started fine. Got in her at 2.30 and naff all.

jump start attempt turned all lights on dash but car wouldnt start.
Shows me an intelligent key symbol.....

any ideas would be grately received.

·
Vendor
1,709 Posts
Sorry if this seems a stupid question but when you say "dead" do you mean it won't turn over at all or the lights on the dash don't even appear?

Its not tracker/immobiliser related is it? Not sure if the stunts they pull immobilising cars willy nilly does the starter motor or fuel pumps. Faulty immobilise or tracker?

Just a thought......batteries do seems to have a 3 year life to be honest so probably that. They do really weird things when not working properly and trying to work out what's going on is hard as its usually random. Change the battery, all problems go away. Seen it loads of times including both the GTR's I've owned.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried sticking key in the slot under dash.

it just wont fire up. When jump leads are attached all the lights come on on danotification sering unlocks but she wont fire up.

Is there a way to reset the immobiliser or something. the press brake to start light doesnt come on either. But all other notifications seem to work

·
Registered
924 Posts
Tried sticking key in the slot under dash.

it just wont fire up. When jump leads are attached all the lights come on on danotification sering unlocks but she wont fire up.

Is there a way to reset the immobiliser or something. the press brake to start light doesnt come on either. But all other notifications seem to work
If you have jump leads attached and the vehicle that is supplying the power is running as well, give it 3-4 minutes then hit the starter in yours.

If no starter motor action, I doubt it's the battery. I think more tracker or immobiliser issue.

Even if the battery was flat, with the other car running and 3-4 minutes of charging, you should have enough power to spin the starter.

Satan

·
R35 Section manager
11,252 Posts
How far are you driving on your car journeys? A battery wont charge properly if your using it for short runs?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Varta 4 year warranty

By the way, if you're local, I can get a Varta 4 year for £45.00

Top quality and no GT-R tax applied.

When mine dies, I'm going to see what uprated / larger battery Varta can offer.

Satan.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car does fairly long journeys.

Been on jump leads now for about 30mins.
nothing..... she wont fire up, yet the red immobiliser light near the windscreen goes out.

Can cobra trackers screw around with the car starting?

cant understand why she fired this morning but not now.

would size of jump leads effect

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You would need a proper set of leads to jump it,,
It's a big capacity engine, and when cold harder to crank,
Jump leads from places like Halfords are almost useless,
Goldie

1 - 20 of 96 Posts