GTR Forum banner

unexplained flat battery

8K views 95 replies 24 participants last post by  ben15476 
#1 ·
Car gets used everyday.... now .... dead
WTF

#4 ·
what year car? The earlier cars had smaller capacity batteries to start with and when they run too low I believe it is detrimental to the batterys health making the problem worse in future

#5 ·
talking of the battery, I think mine is on its way out... as about 10 minutes radio use, whilst the car is parked and not running, then it seems to find it harder to crank..

what battery are people recommending nowadays? Not hijacking the thread, as OP may have a similar question soon...... thanks

#6 ·
optima yellow top seems to be the prime choice. Not sure what a good price is but I think I saw a whiffbits advert on here for £160 (possibly plus VAT).

Although I suspect a larger capacity halfords battery would still be fine and that would be less than £100 for their top of the range.

I noticed on another thread the OP has a 59 reg car meaning it's the smaller batter. Not 100% sure but I suspect the bigger batteries came in for the MY12 cars onwards.

I think battery upgrade should be a standard consideration now for those buying the 09/59/10 cars.

#11 ·
Chris fitted one of these to my Evo recently and it has made the world of difference - I guess I'll find out for sure when I get back from the Euro Tour ... I used to leave the car 3 days & it would be flat but now it can be left longer (plus it cranks better as well :thumbsup:)

#9 ·
The thing with car batteries is that they just die all of a sudden. So one minute they are fine and the next time you start your car they have had it. Charge it up and if it fails to hold its charge by the next day then its time for a new one.

#12 ·
Ok an update.

jumped the car this morning, started fine drove fine.

got to work, switched her off left her 5 mins and she started fine. Got in her at 2.30 and naff all.

jump start attempt turned all lights on dash but car wouldnt start.
Shows me an intelligent key symbol.....

any ideas would be grately received.

#14 ·
Sorry if this seems a stupid question but when you say "dead" do you mean it won't turn over at all or the lights on the dash don't even appear?

Its not tracker/immobiliser related is it? Not sure if the stunts they pull immobilising cars willy nilly does the starter motor or fuel pumps. Faulty immobilise or tracker?

Just a thought......batteries do seems to have a 3 year life to be honest so probably that. They do really weird things when not working properly and trying to work out what's going on is hard as its usually random. Change the battery, all problems go away. Seen it loads of times including both the GTR's I've owned.

#15 ·
Tried sticking key in the slot under dash.

it just wont fire up. When jump leads are attached all the lights come on on danotification sering unlocks but she wont fire up.

Is there a way to reset the immobiliser or something. the press brake to start light doesnt come on either. But all other notifications seem to work

#16 ·
If you have jump leads attached and the vehicle that is supplying the power is running as well, give it 3-4 minutes then hit the starter in yours.

If no starter motor action, I doubt it's the battery. I think more tracker or immobiliser issue.

Even if the battery was flat, with the other car running and 3-4 minutes of charging, you should have enough power to spin the starter.

Satan

#19 ·
Car does fairly long journeys.

Been on jump leads now for about 30mins.
nothing..... she wont fire up, yet the red immobiliser light near the windscreen goes out.

Can cobra trackers screw around with the car starting?

cant understand why she fired this morning but not now.

would size of jump leads effect

#25 ·
having done some more research, some symptoms point towards a steering lock issue whilst others point a batteries in both the intelligent keys and the car itself.

The steering lock was changed by NHPC in November last year on a recall, so I think I'll change all 3 Batteries and go from there.

failing that....

FOR SALE

thanks for the helpful suggestions guys and to those who think they're funny...... the forum won't allow me to type what I think of you.

Cheers

#26 ·
Ill ask again, have you changed the battery in the actual car?

If the jump leads weren't up to the task, they would get hot and eventually melt. They wouldn't just not work. Any 25mm booster cable is more than up to the task, but of course you knew that being a GTR technician that was going to service his own car

#29 ·
At what point did I say I was going to service my own car??
or did the thread say I know 2 Highly skilled mechanics that have offered to look after the car.

You strike me as a total C##T Flynn so do me a favour and post your comments somewhere else

#34 ·
When I had an Aston this type of problem came up a lot on the AM forum. For example, when the battery is on the way out then various electrical things will work (radio, lights etc) but it won't have enough umph to turn the engine.

The thing with car batteries in that a cell will fail and that's them had it.

I've had it myself on a few cars. One minute it's fine, then it's dead. Charge it up and it will start the car fine. A few hours later it's dead again. That's what happens once they fail - they will not hold their charge for more than a few hours.

Your various descriptions point to the car's battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.