GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm wondering if you can recommend anything that will protect untreated aluminum wheel rims? I recently purchased a set of wheels which have been refurbed and have polished alloy rims. After much elbow grease I had them mirror like and applied turtle wax wheel wax hoping this would seal them. But within a week water marks had appeared and light oxidisation is starting.
I will probably have to get the rims chromed eventually but can you suggest something in the mean time?:confused:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hiya,

I have the same prob with my rims as well, having an untreated polished lip.
They will require regular maintenance regardless but, I've found a couple of products that help keep things at bay a little longer.....
First is Meguiars NXT metal polish @ £6.99. One of only a couple of metal polishes that actually protect as well as bring up the shine. Definately one up over a 'standard' metal polish, and a pot of paste will last an absolute age.
The second is to go for a wheel Sealant @ £12.99. These protect very well and can be applied on the whole wheel and generally will hold things back even longer and help prevent the water spots etc that mark the wheels easily......... The only other alternative to this is to get a decent synthetic wax (sealant) for the bodywork, something like Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection @ £15.99. If you can't justify spending the money on a dedicated wheel sealant, then a very durable paint sealant will be nearly as good but, the added bonus is that you can obviously use it on the whole car and bin the cheapy Turtle Wax which really won't offer that much protection especially on the wheels.

The most important thing is not to use a highly acidic / alkaline wheel cleaner on polished wheels. Steer well away from Wonder Wheels and cheapy off the shelf cleaners. A ph neutral wheel cleaner is ideal, or even some sort of citric cleaner will do the job fine.

Let me know if theres anything else I can help with :).
Alex.

P.S. Prices are pre GTROC discount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts