GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just at the Paris Tuning Show today and spoke to Luc-Michel (pictures of his R34 were posted up a while ago so I have reposted anything).....He continues to work away on his project (roll cage/ left hand drive)...........He expect to put it on the track in July at the 22/23 July at Magny-Cours for a show....

At the show he made public most of the planned specs:

V-12 6800cc
1000hp (planned - he is still working on the engine)
Quad Turbo

1100Kg in July with plans to be 1000Kg soon after.........

He reads this board so I am sure he will answer/clarify any mistakes I have made........

Hopefully I will head down to Magny-Cours for the initial demo...........

·
Registered
159 Posts
How is a V-12 and 4 turbos fit in an R34 engine bay? Or is one mounted eleswhere?

A very difficult weight target, will be impressive if he makes it.

Is it 2 RB26 engines?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not 2 RB26 (I will let Luc disclose who is providing the engine - However I think you could figure out the likely providers since not many V12s manufacturers around).........

Tight fit but engine mounts moved back to allow for the fit............

Ciao

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the 2002 JGTC GTR would not have counted as a true Skyline GTR given the V6 engine used for half the season..........

If you understand what he is after - 1000hp for track/drag/street with increased reliablity/durablity I don't blame him for going the V12 route (lower boost makes the wear and tear less - longer between rebuilds)..............In the end sticking with the RB would have been economically and performance wise the wrong choice given the objectives plus economic issues...................

In addition, he is still retaining 4wd drive (which as you know the JGTC did not run) and 4 wheel steering ...............

In the end, we all will have our personal views on this topic.........

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Well the 2002 JGTC GTR would not have counted as a true Skyline GTR given the V6 engine used for half the season..........
This seasons GT500 GTRs still use the VQ30DETT. I don't consider them true racing GTRs, but that is just my view.

Considering his goals he could have easily stuck with the RB(just look at hipogtrs car), but I guess it is a nice little project he has going there.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Different Engines

Luc-Micheal,

If it's in a GTR body then it's a GTR as far as I'm concerned.

The simple fact from experience is that whilst massive bhp (700bhp-1000bhp) is achievable from the RB26, it is not reliable. The engine is a great design, but simply too stressed at 300bhp+ per litre.

Every time one of my engines has blown, I have joked about fitting a 10 litre Chevy V8 instead, just never done anything about it yet............

If you are going for a 'big cube' conversion, then best of luck, it will be great to see something different. If its a BMW or Mercedes based V12 (a la McLaren F1 or Pagani Zonda), then it will also be very reliable and hugely torquey. I only hope the drivetrain will cope with the torque.

It will be difficult to keep the weight down though, if you have a V12 block, quad cams and four turbos....

Please keep us updated.

Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts